Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know the dimention of the washer? my trunnion bushing is fine but the pastic washer is all but gone,creates some interesting steering:D just the dia. of the hole in the middle of the spacer/shim and the outside diameter of the washer/spacer. thanks

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
I had Norman Racing make some for me on my 74 GTV out of a firm but slightly flexible nylon-type plastic. OD was 2.5", ID was .915" (measure yours to be sure); thickness will vary, but I think about .070" per side was right for my car. Made in the form of a big C so it could slip into place without disasembly of the trunnion. Outer end of the slot is smaller than the inside, so it would spring into place and retain itself.

The old ones totally disintegrated during a Streets of Willow driver's school. Bushing themselves are fine. I've been driving around with the new Norman washers, and it seems fine, but I haven't been on the track yet with them. I have a large hose clamp on the trunnion mount one each side to keep the washer from slipping off if the natural springiness didn't hold it in. So far so good.

Andrew Watry

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Andrew said:
I had Norman Racing make some for me on my 74 GTV out of a firm but slightly flexible nylon-type plastic. OD was 2.5", ID was .915" (measure yours to be sure); thickness will vary, but I think about .070" per side was right for my car. Made in the form of a big C so it could slip into place without disasembly of the trunnion. Outer end of the slot is smaller than the inside, so it would spring into place and retain itself.

Andrew Watry
Andrew,
Good stuff, thanks.
Do you have any drawings or photos you could supply to this post?
Sure would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
21,128 Posts
No, sorry, I just used the dimensions to have Norman make a giant C-shaped slip-in washer, kind of like the alignment shims some cars (Ferrari) use on the rear suspension.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts