Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I am still trouble shooting all the electricity in the car. A spider 84
It seems that there is no switch on the ground wire of my trunk vanity light.
Could someone please send me a photo indicating where it is located?
Many Thanks
Francois, London, Canada

Thanks
Francois

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its on the back inner side of the hinge.
I can't get a pic, but if you get a light and maybe a mirror you should be able to see it.
Otherwise, just feel for it.
Thanks! following your guidance I ve easily found it with a light.
I enclosed a picture where to look for future similar question!
Cheers
Francois

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, it is adjustable, and I can see by your photo that you have one more 'notch' you can utilize to increase the trunk spring torsion. Its that three-slotted bracket with the round bar set into the middle slot. The challenge is to get that bar out of its slot and placed in the next one. There's an incredible amount of torsion loaded onto that bar, and if it slips, you don't want to be leaning into the trunk too close to the bar or mechanism if it lets go. I tied a rope securely to the end of the bar and carefully pulled the bar out and into the slot I wanted. There is the same mechanism under the other hinge as well. There may be other ways of doing this - I think I read somewhere that someone used a pipe to move the torsion bar, etc. Make sure the brackets that hold the horizontal portion of the bar just under the rear deck are not bent and are solidly in place - those are where the spring can 'explode' when more torsion is added. Be mindful, and be careful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, it is adjustable, and I can see by your photo that you have one more 'notch' you can utilize to increase the trunk spring torsion. Its that three-slotted bracket with the round bar set into the middle slot. The challenge is to get that bar out of its slot and placed in the next one. There's an incredible amount of torsion loaded onto that bar, and if it slips, you don't want to be leaning into the trunk too close to the bar or mechanism if it lets go. I tied a rope securely to the end of the bar and carefully pulled the bar out and into the slot I wanted. There is the same mechanism under the other hinge as well. There may be other ways of doing this - I think I read somewhere that someone used a pipe to move the torsion bar, etc. Make sure the brackets that hold the horizontal portion of the bar just under the rear deck are not bent and are solidly in place - those are where the spring can 'explode' when more torsion is added. Be mindful, and be careful.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, so to increase torsion, I move the bar forward to the next slot? Would that be correct to add Torsion to hold the trunk open? And also would I need to adjust both hinges to increase torsion?
thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok, so to increase torsion, I move the bar forward to the next slot? Would that be correct to add Torsion to hold the trunk open? And also would I need to adjust both hinges to increase torsion?
thanks
Yes, the spring will need to be pulled towards the rear of the car to increase its lifting power. You'll feel the torsion that's already loaded when you try to move it. Pulling it to the next slot toward the rear of the car will increase torsion.
That's a good question re: adjustment of both springs. The springs are independent, so I suppose one could micro-tweak the lifting power of the system by only adjusting one of the springs, but I can't say for sure, never tried it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the photos you are referring too are mine not Murderman: my trunk stays up. no problem for this.
However, the connections of the trunk to the hinges are not squared! It this 'normal'?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, the spring will need to be pulled towards the rear of the car to increase its lifting power. You'll feel the torsion that's already loaded when you try to move it. Pulling it to the next slot toward the rear of the car will increase torsion.
That's a good question re: adjustment of both springs. The springs are independent, so I suppose one could micro-tweak the lifting power of the system by only adjusting one of the springs, but I can't say for sure, never tried it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think the photos you are referring too are mine not Murderman: my trunk stays up. no problem for this.
However, the connections of the trunk to the hinges are not squared! It this 'normal'?
Yes, I realized that after posting the reply - got to pay closer attention I guess!
The holders on my S3 looked very similar. There is so much oblique force on them that they get stressed laterally. I took my holders off and the washers between the hinge and holder, which were brass, were so worn and thin. I replaced them with new ones and that helped to straighten the holders relative to the hinge, but they're still a bit off. Doesn't seem to affect their function, though.
BTW, I noticed in your photo that rubber 'cover' over the three-slot bracket. I found a couple of those loose in my trunk after buying my Spider, and never figured out what the heck they were for. They kinda look like wee little skate guards. Now I see where they go! I'm glad I held on to them along with some other yet-unidentified parts.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
I did the fix shown in this post about 8-9 years ago to deal with the twisting of the hinge arms, and it has worked great.

Mine:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did the fix shown in this post about 8-9 years ago to deal with the twisting of the hinge arms, and it has worked great.

very neat and clean idea! nice color also!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
i was looking at that, and presuming that square sectioned rod is hollow....
wondered how the screws actually screw into it, each end?
Have you welded a nut inside each end?

·
Registered
243 Posts
i was looking at that, and presuming that square sectioned rod is hollow....
wondered how the screws actually screw into it, each end?
Have you welded a nut inside each end?
I assume it is a threaded rod the length of the square tube, capped at each end with a nut. That's probably how I'd do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts