Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's 98 F in the shop and I'm about to pull the trigger on the ClassicAutoAir rear aircon unit. I'll try and post the progress as this hopefully will be a good solutiion cause it's HOT!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Please keep us posted on how this works out. I'm considering the same for my Nuova Super.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Well it's 98 F in the shop and I'm about to pull the trigger ....cause it's HOT!
I know of what you speak.
Go down to The Depot and pick up a load of sheet insulation and put it between the rafters on the tin of your roof, then get one of those portable roll around air conditioners and run the exhaust out the door. Put it next to you where you work and feel the relief! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got that done, I actually have a big window unit that will cool it down to the 80's but don't run it unless I have a project that will keep me in there the majority of the afternoon so as to keep my foodprint down. The fans (2) do work and if you can stay in the wind it's really not that bad which is why driving the Alfa on the freeway is even ok, it's just when you get in traffic you boil yourself away. Asked for an instruction maual from the classicair folks and have not heard back. guess I'll have to call and read them the riot act:)

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the trunk aircon. They didn't have a condenser small enough but got a new one from another vendor. Also found a rear compressor bracket that goes down to the alternator.
Robert at Shadetree Electrics had one. He also recurved an old Bosch distributor for me, actually the lobes were shot so he basically built me a new one and it's got a great curve. Put it on the spider with webers and it works like a charm. Very reasonable price too!
Hopefully before it cools off I'll have cold air in the GTV, now wouldn't that be something!

·
Registered
505 Posts
AC bracket

Hi, will you be able to post a picture of the bracket for the AC and Alternator. I am looking for a system on my 64 TI.
Thank you.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
313 Posts
AC condenser

Very eager to hear of your progress. I have about half a system installed in my Jr. Z. Almost finished installing the compressor this evening. I have the evaporator unit fitted. It's tight but the electric fan went in nicely. The next step is the condenser and I'm having trouble finding one that fits. Which vendor did you use for the one you ended up with? Thanks and look forward to following your progress. Dan

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used nostalgic air. if you look in that same thread by WA-Alfa he lists everything he got. We both got the same condenser, the 12x14 parallel condensor. The car originally had air and there is an opening on the lower right in front of the radiator where the hoses can go through. I have a 73 parts car that didn't have air and that hole is not there so I don't know if that will present a problem for you or not. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doing mock up of evaporator now, tight fit for ducts but looks like it will fit, no way to get that many btu's umder the dash.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it looks like I'm going to have to lose my beloved 5 gal windshield washer reservoir and put in a smaller one to make room for the drier. Otherwise so far so good. The evaporator sits snug right up and over the small shelf in the trunk (boot) :) so snug that the drains actually go through the holes. I could even do away with the drain tubes alltogether if so inclined but I doubt I will.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
some more shots, I chose the route of least amount of cutting of rear deck for positions. Did reinforce with some strap and give mounting points for vents. Cutting the package tray with die grinder from the underside wouldn't cut the vinyl which was good because then it can be trimmed cleanly with a razor blade. Also works good on fingers when holding vinyl against backing and cutting from other side.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
evap mounted, hope that is the hardest part, rather rob a bank. Did hook up the fan to check air flow and it's got plenty so it should cool that little car down COLD. Condensor and fan shouldn't be hard at all. Just need to run the hoses and put compressor on new motor and then swap motors. One in there runs perfect, knock on wood, but the new motor is the original motor to that car and I could get the plugs for the compressor mount out of that head. Thems in there tight! One nice thing is that there is still plenty of space in the trunk as the evap uses mostly the dead space up on the shelf in the trunk and just a bit towards the back from there. Still have a classic looking dash without a bunch of stuff that looks like it was added on. All that is on the package tray and is no worse looking than a couple of speakers which btw are in boxes on the rear seat and sound better there than they did on the package tray.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done about as much as I can until the new motor goes in with comprssor on it. Did put a relay on the switch so as not to pull the current through the ignition switch. I blows pretty good.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Where will you route the coolant lines?
Will you have them made or make them yourself?
Does the fresh air come from the cabin thru the rear "firewall"?
Great photos.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, air is recirculated through the center vent. kit came with all the hoses and will go into the holes on the right under the car then up into compartment and routed as normal. Fan will go on in front of the condenser. Depending on the cost I may take it to a shop to have the hoses installed. A crimping tool is 200 bucks and much over that will make it worth having a shop do it on a lift and they can charge it up and will be responsible for leaks if any.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts