Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

Over the summer my trunk had an issue and the trunk torsion springs got out of wack and I couldn't open the trunk without the arm bending. I unscrewed one of the torsion bolts which turned out to be a pretty big mistake as the end of the bolt got shredded and now the driver side torsion rod is unhooked which means now I can't hold the trunk open. Anyone have any experience getting the torsion rod back into place/ replacing that bolt? I cant get it back up there due to the amount of pressure. or replacing with a hydraulic/ gas strut to hold it up? At work, but can post pictures after.

Thanks - Drew

·
Registered
246 Posts
Those torsion bars can be a pain. You'll need to unhook the bar from its holder (that bracket with 3 slots) beneath the passenger side hinge - you'll never get it back on the bolt without doing that first. Not sure what you mean by the bolt being 'shredded' - striped of its threads? Not sure what to do in that case, other than weld a new bolt stud in place, or try rethreading the stripped one. Once that is set, getting the torsion bar reset into its 3-slot holder requires some dexterity. There are some entries on this forum with various methods of doing that. I used the rope method which worked great.

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I will take a look at other threads. I believe the bolt is stripped but it's been a few months so will have to take a look once I am 100% sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts