Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While ogling some photos on Alfaholics site today I came across this one of a trunk. In it, on the right side, it's possible to see what looks like a reinforcement panel. My car, a '65, doesn't have this, and I wonder if it's a strengthening piece added to later models to help provide better stiffness to the rear fender in the event of a bumper nudge. Does anybody have info or details or this? Is there anything comparable on the left side next to the gas tank? How does it attach at the rear edge and where to? Curious if I should be looking to add some strengthening while doing other trunk work. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Regarding the trunk straightening panel you see on the pic. Its to ensure that the rear end of all 105 Sprints/GTVs/ Juniors don't crease as a result of too much weight placed inside the trunk. These cars have an inherent weakness of the trunk floor being unable to support very heavy objects( such as bags of cement ),and usually results in the floor bending and creasing at the C pillar. Very expensive repair to fix this problem, and over the years I have seen many 105 coupes with sad looking sunken rear ends. Strangely enough the Giulia TI/Super don't suffer from this problem,but the Berlina does.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shane1750. Unless you are just being facetious, I should have done a better job of describing the panel. It's circled here.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is a ST028 GT INNER RIGHT DOUBLE SKIN REPAIR SECTION (behind no.4 section) from classic alfa or alfaholics. Your car should have something similar, but it may have rusted away. I will post a picture

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aha!! Thanks for that info. Is that "second skin" simply for added rigidity? It looks like it may also have an upper "shelf" that perhaps the trunk floor sits on?

·
Registered
921 Posts
As you can see on my resto, where everything was replaced with new panels, there is still no panel added to the inner rigth wing, wich was later added, hoop it helps

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Different design,but both my cars (1965 GT) have a inner support panel between the spare wheel well and outer panel
IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I had the one with the hole (as you show at the bottom) on the 66 - but it doesn't appear in the parts book. The 65 has none.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for the info and photos folks. So, Sketchl, is the panel with the hole in it then spot welded on the lower lip to the bottom lip of the fender?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Tom, sounds like you're making great progress! Perhaps this was done to improve the trunk floor strength in later GTVs, but I saw these reinforcing plates in the rear corners of my 2000, while repainting the spare tire well.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Ken. Yes, I'm making progress, but it's very slow, I just can't commit big chunks of time to working on the car unfortunately. I ended up removing the old trunk floor as it was just too rusty to salvage. Around the same time I started cleaning up some of the other rear panels and found more metal damage (dents vs. rust) than I'd anticipated, hiding under filler. As such, I've come to the conclusion that I'll end up getting the whole thing media blasted, but unfortunately still manually need to pull off the old filler otherwise the blasting will just be so long and intense that I think I'd have a high probability of warping panels. Long story short, I've got a VERY long way to go and am just trying to work my way through the bulk of the metal work prior to going to the blasters so I can get it well sealed immediately afterward. Oh boy.

Hey, back on the subject though. I'd be curious to know what that area of your trunk looks like on the under side. What I found on mine was that the replacement trunk panels don't fit the earlier cars well, so I had to fabricate corner pieces to get it to fit snugly up against the wheel arches. Kind of a pain in the butt, honestly.... Would be curious if this is basically what you are seeing, or it they were truly installed for increased strength.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm sure all your efforts will pay out in the end with a great car. Besides, it wouldn't be as rewarding if it were easy! LOL!

As far as the fit up, there is a bit of seam sealer along the sides, around the wheel well and the rear. The reinforcement in the left rear corner has quite a bit just slopped over it to the point where it covers much of it. A precison fit it's not...

I'll see if I can post some underside pictures for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Similar topic going on next door in the "Sedan" Forum...

I REMOVED THE RT REAR CORNER OF FLOOR AND FOUND NO SPOT WELDS FROM EDGE OF FLOOR TO QTR, AS I AM ASLO DOING A QTR PATCH AT BOTTOM, but IT WAS EVIDENT THAT ALOT OF SEAM SEALER WAS THERE WOW! AN

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Seems obvious once you look at it from underneath... The bumper support brackets are right below the reinforcing plates. The trunk floor is sandwiched between them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts