Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What gives...? Neither button on the dash will activate the respective releases! This is on a 1995 24v car.

I checked that 30A fuse under the dash (top row of vertical fuses - 3rd one from the left), but it's fine... The manual references a "30A relay" - confusing... Is there an actual relay somewhere that has failed?

Are those actual buttons on that dash unit prone to failure - just like the climate display itself?

What else could it be? Any tests / ideas please? Where can we prod, test resistance or apply power to make those two apparatus activate manually and trace back...?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Yeah its probably the Climate control unit. If you open it up, there are three wire ribbons (4- 14-4 conductors each) that bridge the two clamshell halves.

The solder connections on these ribbons (where they mate to the printed circuit board) get loose over time due to poor solder QC control when the module was built. All you have to do is touch these up/reflow the solder (using a smaller 30w soldering pencil) and all will be well again. you might also find intermittent flashers turning on by themselves that is caused by this as well.

However, comma it could be the relay -- if there is one (I don't have my reference books here right now) -- will try to check tonite

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
yeah there are relays for both of these, they are on the passenger side in the trunk. follow the wires and see if you can find the relays - then do the ole wiggle/jiggle and visual inspect to make sure all is kosher

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
I am away from my tech data now but did you check F3 30A fuse in the small G2 aux fuse box above the main fuse box? Seems like if my memory is correct this has something to do with trunk and fuel door relays control.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Goats.

Steve, you talking about the top row of vertical 30A fuses in the main fuse area by the driver's left knee, correct...?

Yes, I mentioned that this one (third from left) was good. The manual references a "relay" there though and that's what I am trying to figure out. They refer to that fuse as a "30A relay" - so, not sure...

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Thanks Goats.

Steve, you talking about the top row of vertical 30A fuses in the main fuse area by the driver's left knee, correct...?

Yes, I mentioned that this one (third from left) was good. The manual references a "relay" there though and that's what I am trying to figure out. They refer to that fuse as a "30A relay" - so, not sure...
The small horizontal not vertical G2 fuse box has five fuses and is above main fuse box and not the vertical row of spare fuses along right side of main G1 fuse box.

As for relays for fuel door and trunk lid solenoid they are both powered off that 30A fuse. Relays are located behind right side carper in trunk near fuel door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts