Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take panels and such apart I'd like to know if there is a quick and easy way to replace the trunk release cable on my 85 graduate.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Before I take panels and such apart I'd like to know if there is a quick and easy way to replace the trunk release cable on my 85 graduate.
Yes, just replace the inner wire, not the whole cable assembly-unless the outer sheathing is torn up. Just lube up the new cable in gear oil and slide it through.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You can duct-tape one end of the new housing to the end of the old one and pull them through that way. I had only a small problem with the replacement of the housing. If you don't know that the old housing is good, then it might be well to replace both. I think that when you pull the rug back on the left side of the trunk, it becomes a pretty straight shot. No guarantees, though, so David's suggestion does have less risk of difficulty.

I think that you do have to disassemble the plastic panel at the door jamb, but it's not a grievous thing to do.

Michael

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
It's not difficult to replace the entire trunk cable with its housing. To expose the cable in the trunk area you have to remove the rubber edge trunk molding first. The molding is not glued; it's just fitted over a fabric edge. The fabric edge is what is delicate, as it is attached to the trunk carpet and does tear easily. Just be careful pulling this off. The carpet around the back wall is secured by three plastic screws, which you simply pry off and tap to get back in. With the carpet pulled away, you will be able to see the cable and housing. Do note how the OEM cable is attached.

To remove the interior panel to which the handle is attached, all you will need is a screwdriver. However, you will need something to "find" the holes through the carpet when you go back to put the panel back in. (There is no need to remove the screw that is used to secure the tonneau cover, as this is only attached to the panel.) If you secure the panel's middle screw first, it will make it easier to attach the rest of them. Be careful with the panel as well, since the vinyl could be coming off in places, and if you over tighten any screw, you're likely to break the critical area that surrounds and holds the screw.

With everything out, use some duct tape to attach the new cable housing to the old one, and pull the old cable/housing out through the trunk. Thus the new cable and housing would be going in through the cabin into the trunk. Be careful not to pull hard on the cables. Sometimes these get stuck a bit, since there is quite a bit of goo in the wall that separates the trunk, but with a bit of wiggling and patience the cable should go through nicely. Also, make sure that you lube the new cable well. I know that it comes already lubricated, but it's not unusual to find that the latch handle is very tight once it is installed. The issue is that there is not enough lubricant in the area where the cable bends in the trunk corner, so it's just a good idea to pull out a portion of the cable in order to push lubricant into that area.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. I didn't want to put my beauty away for the winter without fixing this and now I know I can without too much fuss.Very timely as it has started snowing here in Rossland (yea for the skiers among us)- don't worry, Alfa is under dry cover and will be cossetted until next April when it will come out of its chrysalis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts