Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed two Fire Fight Products extinguishers (not endorsing...) in the trunk. They sell the "water bottle holder-like" brackets too. Their products use non-corrosive, engine and auto friendly chemicals in case you really will need to use it to put out a fire. Thought I'd share with the Spider community and give back a little since I learn so much here from all you fine folks!

These are also great to have handy if you are entering into car shows, some require fire equipment.

Basically, use masking tape to mark a level line. Mark the holes for the brackets. Drill the holes carefully thru the carpet and softboard flip-panel, DO NOT drill thru your fuel vapor lines! Mount the brackets with your choice of bolts, washers and nuts. Bend the bracket to hold the extinguisher can tightly. Vacuum up the sawdust and you are SET!!

They look nice, the panel still flips with good clearance, and if ANYONE is having a bad day, you've got fire fight capability.

Vince

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Hmmmm...

Shouldn't they be mounted in the ****pit for easy access? What if your fire starts in the trunk area??? What would you do?
Agree. I will be making a SS or alloy bracket that bolts to the front passenger seat mount so it is positioned just in front of the passenger seat. My only concern is if it makes it harder for my wife to get into the car. Then I'll have to think again ...
Pete

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hmmmm...

Shouldn't they be mounted in the ****pit for easy access? What if your fire starts in the trunk area??? What would you do?

" quick honey, the car is on fire. do me a favor and open the trunk , move the stuff thats in there, figure out the latch and get me an extinguisher thats mounted directly on top of the gas tank , ok ? quick like a bunny please... "

your car catch fire that often that you need not one, but TWO extinuishers ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I prefer the trunk, your needs may vary... As for having two... these units are so compact and inexpensive, why not?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I prefer the trunk, your needs may vary... As for having two... these units are so compact and inexpensive, why not?
true enough. ive been driving for 50 years or so in countless cars and ive never managed to set one one fire... including the race cars... ill continue to take my chances.

are the ones you have at least a 10bc rating ? otherwise they aren't much good for car fires anyway... thats the minimum rating for cars where extinuishers are required because of the various materials and liquids in play.

its unfair to make light of someone trying to do something in the name of safety but the fact is that the first guy that suggested having it a lot closer to hand is absolutely correct. if you are going to go thru all the work of doing it then you might as well make the installation functional and locking them in the trunk on top of the fuel tank where you will have to fumble for them when seconds count isn't the smart play at all. but , then again you know what you are trying to accomplish and if you are happy then thats all that matters.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Mrs. Lokki simply clutches the fire extinguisher in both hands when she rides in the passenger seat. She's also scotch-taped a St Christopher's medal AND a crucifix to the extinguisher. She says she's not Catholic, but she figures the car probably is. I complained about all this once, but after she pointed out who did all the work on the car, I sort of shut up.

When I'm alone I don't carry one, but if I were to, I might think about the passenger footwell fairly high under the dash.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The sad truth is that unless you catch a car fire very early in its stages, it is better to let the car burn and have the insurance pay off on the car than to risk serious injury trying to extinguish a well developed or quickly spreading car fire. The amount of damage a small fire does is usually enough to total the car anyway because there are so few shops which can really repair fire damage well. And the repair costs quickly spiral into the range that the insurance company will decline to pay these costs and just total the car anyway.

I have fought unsuccessfully to put out two car fires with a handheld extinguisher. The extinguishers will not put out a well developed fire and once the exringuisher is empty you can do no more than try to keep everyone away and maybe rescue a few personal items before the fire takes everything inside.

Fire totally destroys everything electrical as well as the soft parts. It warps the sheet metal parts. The only way to professionally restore a fire damaged car is with wireing and parts from a donor car or wreck. Trying to patch up fire damaged wireing is sure to result in future electrical problems and you end up with a crappy, taped up appearance to boot.

After learning the hard way, when I stop to help a motorist with a car fire, I always ask first; is everyong out of the car, and do you have comprehensive insurance? If the answer to the second question is yes, then I advice the owner to just let the car burn itself out.

Sad cold facts of life.

Robert

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...Shouldn't they be mounted in the ****pit for easy access? What if your fire starts in the trunk area??? What would you do?
I have a fire extinguisher in all of my vehicles and, except for the pickup tuck, they are all mounted in the trunk. If a fire is such that you cannot pop open the trunk and calmly retrieve the extinguisher then you are best to get away from the vehicle. As for the unlikely event of a fire beginning in the trunk, well since that is where the fuel tank is I'm not going to hang around.

I have experienced a vehicle fire on the road. It was caused by a defective banjo fitting that sprayed hydraulic fluid over the engine which ignited and began burning a plastic belt shroud. I was able to put it out it and save the vehicle but without the extinguisher I'm certain it would have been lost. So I recommend carrying an extinguisher and mounting it in the trunk is perfectly fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many good points, gentlemen, many good points. I do not drive a practical car. (Alfa Spider). Therefore, I do not need practical protection. If the engine manages to flame up, I have the means to flame it out. If it were to spread to the interior, forget it, burn baby burn.

For all you innovative folks who ABHOR TRUNK MOUNTED fire extinguishers and want your wife to keep avoiding kicking the passenger side-mounted fire extinguisher with the risk of her someday accidentally setting it off with her stilettos, I have something for you to check out:

Google search "car fire", select Images at the top... look closely at the pictures...

Oh.... also.. I'm a non-smoker.. :)

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
I assume you are talking about the fires usually starting where the engine is. I just want to be able to get to the fire extinguisher as fast as possible.

I'm also a believer in Murphy's law, ie. when you don't have a fire extinguisher handy you will need one, so having one anywhere in the car is better than not carrying one :D
Pete

·
Registered
158 Posts
Virtually every car show and organized caravan I have been on has required a fire extinguisher to be in the car— and they usually check at entry. As an owner of pre-war cars with many unfused circuits, I tend to agree its a good idea. I once shorted a lead to a 6v electro-mechanical clock and it burned 4 feet of insulation off a 12 gauge wire in a second before I could shut off the battery switch.

So I generally put a Halon fire extinguisher in all my older cars. The manufacture of Halon has been banned for decades (ozone layer problem or something like that) but recycled is still available and is used in aircraft and race car fire suppression. Unlike dry chemical extinguishers, Halon leaves no residue and is more effective at putting out fires. It's fairly expensive though.

Here is my Spider installation. Admittedly, the trunk is not the ideal location but it is better than nothing and I can get to it in a few seconds. Only had to drill one hole for the bracket since I used an existing one on the rear carpet panel. So far, it hasn't gotten in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
In addition to the trunk mounted extinguisher in my 164 I also added a battery disconnect switch. So in an emergency situation I can retrieve the extinguisher and kill the battery at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts