Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to help a friend install air conditioning in his 1969 1750 GTV. The plan is to mount the unit in the trunk and vent into the cabin via the parcel shelf. I wasn't able to find any recent threads about BB'ers installing A/C and even found a few threads where guys abandoned their systems for simplicity. Have any of these common issues been sorted out?

-A/C condensor in front of stock radiator creates too much of an obstruction and makes the engine run hot.
-Alternator needs to be uprated appropriately for A/C components.
-Stock wiring harness cannot support the increased amperage a modern alternator generates.
-Engine idle speed must be manually adjusted for when the A/C is active vs when inactive.
-Relocate the battery to the trunk to free up space in engine bay for compressor.

Please let me know if anyone has had success recently installing A/C in their GTV. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Check out what a guy in Thailand called Chong Soo Ong is doing to fit AC to 105 GTs. I believe he only posts on Facebook, but his work looks incredible and I think he is in the process of offering a kit.

Reactions: PSk

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
It's an impressive set up for sure. Let's hope he offers a kit - I think the bracket on the cylinder head would be ideal to have.

In response to your queries:

1-A/C condensor in front of stock radiator creates too much of an obstruction and makes the engine run hot.
An engine fan and another pusher fan infront of the condenser should be sufficient to combat these problems - my engine did run hotter but not to a degree that impaired functionality;​
2-Alternator needs to be uprated appropriately for A/C components.
An electric fan would pull and extra 10-12 amps each so an upgraded alternator would prove helpful;​
3-Stock wiring harness cannot support the increased amperage a modern alternator generates.
Some modifications may be required but I shouldnt think this would be any great hurdle;
4-Engine idle speed must be manually adjusted for when the A/C is active vs when inactive.
Yes it can be challenging keep the idle up when the AC is running and you're at the traffic lights - one Alfabb member installed 123 electrinic ignition and had it change curves whenever the AC was activated to overcome this problem - a very clever solution if you ask me - you can even program it to use your own curves;
5-Relocate the battery to the trunk to free up space in engine bay for compressor.
Yes this is required although going by the previos posts Chong Soo Ong has been able to overcome this problem with room for a modest sized battery.

I installed factor original AC in my Alfa 105 GTV 2000 with sound results. See here:

and many many other threads in the HVAC forum

Good luck

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There are threads for a GTV6 trunk installation if you search. Equipment used, etc. looked to be a pretty thorough install albeit a different model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My experience with an AC fitted in Malaysia by previous owner.
1. Cooling, I have electric fans in front and behind my radiator (12" sucking inside) This works ok on on a run but when stuck in Malaysian traffic for a while it will overheat. Soo's double fan setup may well be the solution and I have messaged him re availability.
2. Alternator, I had to fit an upgraded alternator as again on a run all was fine but sitting in traffic with wipers running and lights on the stock alternator couldn't cope. Can't comment on standard wiring as mine has been rewired.
3. Idle speed. My idle speed is set to be ok with the AC on. Turn the AC off the idle speed increases considerably. In some ways not an issue in Malaysia as with the temperatures here the AC is always on. I have a 123 ignition and hadn't thought of the curve switching mentioned above which seems like a good solution. Alternatively a local weber guru told me he could rig something up that would change the idle speed when AC on and off but haven't explored this further.

My car has had all the heating system removed and AC works through an aftermarket blower under the dash of a type very common to aftermarket AC's here. Ideally at some point I would like to reinstate the heater ( car might end up in the UK) and have a fully integrated system that looks factory. Alfaholics have a system that seems to achieve this.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
My experience with an AC fitted in Malaysia by previous owner.
1. Cooling, I have electric fans in front and behind my radiator (12" sucking inside) This works ok on on a run but when stuck in Malaysian traffic for a while it will overheat. Soo's double fan setup may well be the solution and I have messaged him re availability.
2. Alternator, I had to fit an upgraded alternator as again on a run all was fine but sitting in traffic with wipers running and lights on the stock alternator couldn't cope. Can't comment on standard wiring as mine has been rewired.
3. Idle speed. My idle speed is set to be ok with the AC on. Turn the AC off the idle speed increases considerably. In some ways not an issue in Malaysia as with the temperatures here the AC is always on. I have a 123 ignition and hadn't thought of the curve switching mentioned above which seems like a good solution. Alternatively a local weber guru told me he could rig something up that would change the idle speed when AC on and off but haven't explored this further.

My car has had all the heating system removed and AC works through an aftermarket blower under the dash of a type very common to aftermarket AC's here. Ideally at some point I would like to reinstate the heater ( car might end up in the UK) and have a fully integrated system that looks factory. Alfaholics have a system that seems to achieve this.

Forgot to mention my car has battery relocated to the boot but a friend had AC installed recently at s local shop and has a setup that retains the front battery. I can get details of this if of interest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts