Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there

My trunk light never worked. I found the (original?) switch somewhere in the trunk. I realized that the spring in switch was pretty rusty and wasnt applying any tension anymore so probably the PO just pulled it. I quickly replaced the spring. And wanted to install it only to realise that it's barely fitting in the hole, almost hitting the backwall. It clips juuust in, but I cant press the plastic thingy in beyond 1mm (works flawless outside).

Is this switch different (shorter) than the ones in the door or in the engine bay?

Thanks!

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bellagt yes, the spade was originally 90°, i bent it to 180° at first (just copied what i learnt from the other ones). But back to 90° when I realised i cannot even stuff it into the hole without it.

I followed exactly your procedure with the wire. I wouldnt know how to do it otherwise. :) How much way should the plastic-button have in a regular install?

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if it works fine in your hands, then my guess is when you press the switch into the hole, something (like that single spring tab) is getting pressed into the switch and stopping the button from moving

your switch does appear somewhat mis-shapen, compared to a good one
View attachment 1748961 View attachment 1748962
Mine's certainly bent a little bit, but works ok outside the hole.

Whats weird is that i feel with the fingers in the hole (where the cable is fed through) i can feel the switch bottoming out onto the top panel without even pressing. Not really sure whats going on.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys for keeping up with me. :)

So i found it out. silly me, I took the switch out and was seeking with the finger again. And i didnt realise the the terminal needed to be bent upward (180°/inline with the switches movement) so that it fits through yet another hole on top. Since i had the tab bent 90° it never fit through the upper hole and only just cleared the lower cavity. o_O

I probably misinterpreted @bellagt 's message and assumed the wrong hole to feed the wire through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts