Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put new springs in the "lifts" for the trunk lid of the 2600 spider. Mine are tired and do not keep the lid in the raised position.

Does anyone have a source and part # for something available in the US?

I would assume that there would be some kind of off-the-shelf spring that could be adapted?

thanks

David

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hi david,

I have a set of 2 used original springs for the trunk lid of a '64 2600 spider but I can't tell you if they are "tired".

rgds Franco

·
Registered
195 Posts
David,
Just removed two off a 63 Spider. These are simple, just tubes with a long spring inside. Not GAS. One has a threaded rod inside that keeps it from expanding too far. Only on one assy. I was going to search for a gas equivalent but that would not make sense. Just need to polish these (tubes are steel ? ... magnetic) and check spring tension ... maybe find stronger springs. Looks like about 15" collapsed. Would like to reassemble so that the trunk lid opens farther. Lid is quite heavy with shocks off.
Bruce Toski

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly.........
I'm just trying to find the right replacement springs

·
Registered
195 Posts
I put an extra sping (about 2" long) in the strut that comes apart easily and it solved my problem of the hood not staying up all the way ...
Looks like my original struts were chrome plated steel. wow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Here is my experience with the trunk lid supports on my 2600 Spider. The lid would stay in the half-open position with the original springs inside the struts. The springs are about .700 inch (17.8mm) outside diameter with wire size of about .112 inch (2.8mm) and about 20 inches (51cm) long. I never found a source for that exact size spring in the US, so I bought springs from McMaster-Carr in Atlanta, GA, USA. They are .750 inch (19mm) outside diameter, with wire size of .108 inch (2.7mm). The coils are slightly closer together than the originals. I think the minimum order was six pieces 36 inches long, so I had plenty to play with! The new springs were a snug fit in the strut tubes, but they would still work. By making them as long as possible, so as to avoid coil bind in the closed position, the lid would stay about ¾ open. This was still not good enough. My ultimate solution was to re-fit the original spring in one side and fit a modified gas strut inside the other. Unfortunately, the gas strut is so much stronger, that the trunk lid fit in the closed position was upset and had to be corrected. I think I put the gas strut in the side with the adjustable limit-stop. I had to adjust the limit slightly lower so the front edge of the trunk lid would not hit the hard-top. With just the soft-top, you can let it open a little more. If you resort to this fix, be sure that the strut attachment points are solid; no fatigued metal or cracked welds. You do not want one of these gas struts to break loose and hit you in the face. Now, I just unlatch the trunk and let go and it rises slowly to the limit-stop; it is wonderful, and no one will know it is not original. If someone would like to try the springs I bought from McMaster-Carr, I have two pieces 36 inches long. You can have them just for the cost of shipping. I am in North Florida, USA. Maybe your trunk lid has less lead filler than mine, and you might make them work.
Larry

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Cheap spring repair

Maybe I'm simple. My boot lid (trunk ) stopped half way I just took my tired springs out . Cut 1 inch of garden hose for each side dropped these into the tube followed by the old springs and all works fine now! You can tune the length of hose for a different amount of lift.

Or a complicated solution as photo - I saw on another car

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts