Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Awesome, I looked the P/N up and the LIFT is 12.2 inches open and 8.95 closed.. so just about any lift strut with the same or close to length should work....

So Something else to get done...
I still have to see how you have it mounted for when it closes...

rs

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
joe & bcv92

the suggestion about the struts sound like a solution but if you want to stay stock, I think I have two (2) sets of brackets somewhere among the "stuff" in my garage.
Those springs ARE powerful when released prematurely so plz b careful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would definitely be interested in having more details of the strut install. This has been an ongoing issues for me having reset the torsion bars on a few occasions only to have it jump out of place again.

Thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Install struts

I would definitely be interested in having more details of the strut install. This has been an ongoing issues for me having reset the torsion bars on a few occasions only to have it jump out of place again.

Thx
Install 2 ea. 10mm Ball ends, one is mounted to the hinge, in the hole utilized for the "Z" bracket. The other is located on the side wall of the trunk. Use an extended strut to locate the proper position for the lower ball end.

( the ball end must be welded to the sidewall. A couple options are for your choice. Weld the ball end to a plate, then weld the plate in position, which is what I did. OR drill a hole in the trunk side wall, then weld the ball end in the hole)

Place the trunk liner in position, with a hot poker (i used a torch heated awl, MELT an opening into the liner a the lower ball position. Place the heated awl on the ball end and move slowly around the ball end to allow circumference of ball end to protrude through the trunk liner.

Install the struts onto the ball ends, and enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome, I looked the P/N up and the LIFT is 12.2 inches open and 8.95 closed.. so just about any lift strut with the same or close to length should work....

So Something else to get done...
I still have to see how you have it mounted for when it closes...

rs
The strut listed has the lifting force to move the truck lid. Not all struts have the same power to open the trunk.

I imagine the struts are near vertical once the lid is closed.

I will peal back the liner and get a pic of the side wall mount.

Not sure how to set up for a closed trunk picture... to small for me to fit into with a camera....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Strut install

the suggestion about the struts sound like a solution but if you want to stay stock, I think I have two (2) sets of brackets somewhere among the "stuff" in my garage.
Those springs ARE powerful when released prematurely so plz b careful.
Keeping the car "Stock" was given plenty of thought. ( our 1984 is "original/unrestored" but this year Spider is unlikely to ever achieve status that would cause a negative monetarty effect to valuation by installing struts.)

Having to use a broom stick to prop open the trunk was tiring and was not a good way to keep the lid open, especially in the wind.

Besides removing the "z" bracket on the hinge, to bolt on a ball end, causes no damage to the hinge. Welding a ball end to the side wall, can easily be grinded off, and restored flush. Which would be little long term effect to the side wall.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts