Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the two torsion rod springs that hold the trunk lid open popped out of its retaining bracket (the one that is near the trunk lid hinge) because somehow that bracket seems to have bent enough to let the rod pop out. I have tinkered around trying to push the spring rod back into place but to no avail. Shop manual section 56, hoods, shows all the parts of the trunk lid but makes no mention of these torsion rod springs in the procedure for removing and refitting the trunk lid. My various prying efforts have led me to believe that a guy could get killed doing this 'cause those springs are really strong. Does anyone know what the proper procedure is?

Len Desfo
84 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
130 Posts
The swinging links or brackets that connect the torsion bars to each side of the trunk lid (about 3 inches long with a 1/2 inch offset) should have their ends parallel and be without much lateral movement on their pivot bolts. The pivots need to be free and well lubricated.

The link needs to be bent to the proper shape, like the other reversed, free to move with very little lateral movement at the trunk lid connection. This may require another washer or two.

The easiest way to fix is to prop the trunk lid as far open as the hinges will allow. Use large Vise-grips to extend the spring, put link on spring, use vice grip extension to line
up the link with the bolt and fasten.

Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
watch your fingers. I have had alot of problems with the torsion springs. I line up the spring and put a socket on the end and pull the spring into the second position. you will need to losen the clamps that hold the springs to the underside of the body. What i found after several go's at this is that the hinges were loose in the bracket that is welded to the body and it is a problem to rebush them. The trunk springs will work several times then the bracket swings backwards and hits the trunk lid and dents it. you will also be in a world of hurt trying to undue the springs and get the lid free again. look close at the trunk brackets and make sure they are not bent and the holes are not egg shaped. good luck and watch your fingers the springs are powerful.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Can some one post some pictures or drawings of the torsions springs, I took them off years ago and forgot how they fit or twist. I have noticed on the newer spiders having some plastic bid over the part that increased decrease the tension, is that to stop it from popping out? Pictures please!
I remember Osso talking about using a long pipe to fit the torsion springs, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
These are from a '74. I think they're the same. When unhooking the torsion springs I use a piece of rope with a bar of wood and tape the rope to the torsion bar to keep it from slipping. That keeps the finger and hands away from the pinchy stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
The swinging links or brackets that connect the torsion bars to each side of the trunk lid (about 3 inches long with a 1/2 inch offset) should have their ends parallel and be without much lateral movement on their pivot bolts.
I just had to replace one of my brackets (which I got from APE) and working with the springs is definitely a pain! Used a 2x4 to lever the spring into the correct position in order to get the bracket on properly. Of course trying to hold the spring and put the bracket on simultaneously was a challenge. Having a second pair of hands would have helped.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a replacement bracket for the springs. My ment over and the spring came out. I tried to weld it back and it didnt work out so great. But now i'm using a hose clamp to keep it in place, but i need a replacement bracket. If anyone can tell me where i can get one that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement Brackets

Joe,

It's been a wile, but I am experiencing the same problem with my '88 spider at the moment. The brackets seems to have given up and bends, which allows the spring to pop out of its position. I successfully put it back into place, but after opening the boot a couple of times, the bracket had given up again, releasing the spring.

Have you been able to find any replacement brackets so far or solved the problem in a different way? I've been rather thorough on the internet, but could not seem to find anything...

Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Joe,

It's been a wile, but I am experiencing the same problem with my '88 spider at the moment. The brackets seems to have given up and bends, which allows the spring to pop out of its position. I successfully put it back into place, but after opening the boot a couple of times, the bracket had given up again, releasing the spring.

Have you been able to find any replacement brackets so far or solved the problem in a different way? I've been rather thorough on the internet, but could not seem to find anything...

Cheers,
Sebastian
Sebastian,

You might try this solution to keep the brackets from bending. I wrote up this solution two years ago, and haven't had any problems at all since then.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/197005-trunk-lid-hinge-fix.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry, I probably should have been more elaborate on what brackets I was referring to. The 'dogleg' shaped arms that connect the springs to the boot lid are ok in my case, but I'll make sure to keep your solution in mind if they ever go wrong.

I was trying to refer to the brackets that keep the springs in place under the boot, so the two clamps that on each side of the boot, hold the two torsion bars to the top of the boot, in which they are able to turn freely. I'm afraid that because of pressure etc, and the wearing out of the metal, has caused them to go faulty and they need replacing. I found the below thread, but no one seems to have come up with a solution for replacing them, or a suggestion about where to find the parts. I also can't find it in any catalog that I've looked into on the Internet...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/175256-installing-spider-trunk-springs.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Purchased at Auto Zone, the Struts "E95548" are perfect in extension and compression in a vertical install. Gotta figure out how to load video so you can see

·
Registered
662 Posts
Struts seem the way to go, Did you figure out the video? Im going to do the same thing.

rob

·
Registered
662 Posts
Like it. Can you get closer pics? I want to do the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts