Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After meeting with Del yesterday I'm convinced that I should convert my hydraulic trunk lid supports to springs.

So now I'm lookin' around for the parts!

·
Premium Member
26,995 Posts
I am guessing you are looking for hinges configured to accept springs, and the springs?

This is a S deck lid with spoiler you are installing, too correct? You will need a strong set of springs and set of homemade angle brackets bolted or riveted on to body as per Del's instructions.

I had to remove tailights to run pull cables through openings to be able to pull the springs far enough to hook into farthest notch in factory located angle brackets on my S I converted to springs and spring configured hinges. I still needed a boy's crutch to hold up S lid with spoiler attached.

I am now running non-spoiler L lid and springs will pop up lid about halfway when I hit button on a/c panel.

You will have to make your own angle brackets on your 94/95 model.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
"I had to remove tailights to run pull cables through openings to be able to pull the springs far enough to hook into farthest notch in factory located angle brackets on my S I converted to springs and spring configured hinges"

What, are you a weakling, lol? I did it without going through that monkeymotion. Granted, it takes a bit of pulling, but it can be done. What I did was clamp a big visegrips sideways on the wire ahead of the hook and then pull on that to maneuver the hook into place.

I did advise him to get S springs, but hinges can be from any 164 which used springs, as you only have to change the lower part. I didn't have to do anything with the hinge pivot mountings up above. Yes, he will have to go to Lowe's/HomeDepot to get some aluminum angle and fasteners to make the rear brackets.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I couldn't budge mine either using only vise grips. Tied a tie down ratchet strap to a tree and the spring to move one side one hole. Still need to do the other side.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Maybe you guys are trying to pull the spring too far? The lid on my LS stays up with the setting I chose.

Of course, now that I thunk about it, I don't have the third stop light on the trunk lid, but left the one in the back window because I just used the LS lid, not an official S lid.

So... ok, maybe you guys need the extra oomph.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
United States delivered 164s may be different, but all the 164s I have had come thru 12/24 valve up to 1997 models even though they have the dampers still have the hinge with spring hole and the three hole attachment near the tail light, I have never had to remove the tail lights to place or remove a QV spring, just a spring puller, were the springs you used Steve, where you had to remove the tail light brand new QV springs?

I have plenty of boot hinges in stock if any needed.

I think the damper units are the better idea, seem a bit stronger than the springs when in good condition, but because of the break out defect I have made all the 164s in my collection spring operated, better to replace a worn spring than have to deal with body damage, I may be lucky but I have only had 1 164 with the damper break out fault, on close inspection I could see it had been repaired before but the defect come back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
After meeting with Del yesterday I'm convinced that I should convert my hydraulic trunk lid supports to springs.

So now I'm lookin' around for the parts!
Like I said I have them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts