Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks:

I got a kit of replacement fuel line hoses that are SAE (3/8 and 1/2 inches) and not metric in inner diameter (ID).

They seem way too big to me. They slide easily on the nipples and metal tubes, and there is lots of space (IMHO) around the hose and nipples (see photo #2 below).

I am not comfortable installing these without some advice from the team here.

What do you all think??

Photo 1 shows the hoses in the trunk that I am talking about - Hose #5 and Hose #3 in the diagram.
Photo 2 shows the amount of space that Hose #5 has on it when installed.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
In my experience you can get away with using SAE just fine, but with tighter bends, you really have to pay attention to the ID size. Your hose can kink closed on you on a sharp bend, if the ID is too small. This happened to me on a return line in one of my BMW's a few years back, and it took me a year to find the issue with fuel leaking back into the fuel distributor due to the kinked fuel return line. Also, make sure they are truly fuel safe. The auto parts guy told me that I didn't need fuel safe lines for my vent lines, and I started getting fumes back with in a few months...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I did something on my 71 that I cannot recommend, but it's working fine on the discharge hose from my fuel tank to my fuel pump.

I took SAE hose that was very close but just very slightly too small in ID and carefully used a power drill to open out the ID just enough to slide it over the fitting. Note that I only removed a few thousandths and only for half an inch or less, which I then covered with a wide clamp. After drilling I checked carefully to make sure I had not damaged the inner integrity of the hose. Also important is that my car has Webers and so my fuel pressures are very low at any point in system, and particularly at the gravity exit from my tank to my pump.

I figured that I was much happier with this arrangement than having hosing that was loose on the fittings. It's been a year or so since I did this, with zero problems.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking at the 1/2 inch hose all morning. I guess I am not comfortable using it in a pressurized fuel situation. I think it is too big and will probably buy some 12mm from IAP over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hose that is too big, in a pressurized situation, is just asking for trouble. If you can get the correct size, it's worth waiting a day or two extra. My situation was kind of unique - my new Facet pump came with an SAE fitting, and I was having trouble finding a metric fitting that was the same metric size as the output fitting on the tank. One end of the hose or the other was going to have to compromise, or some elaborate adaptor found or made. In these circumstances, again with only gravity pressure on a fuel-injection rated hose, I was more comfortable than I would have been in a pressurized situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts