Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,686 Posts
Not me, but I'll chime in that it's not how the cars came, but you probably know that. Early GTVs had rubber mat, later US cars had a grey astroturf type stuff, and rubber for the rear curtain. No velour, at least in the US.
Andrew

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know but the original light gray rubber stuff is shot and I cannot justify the replacement cost so I though I would go with the trunk carpet set. I'm not restoring to concourse original. I want a clean solid driver.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They come from the Netherlands and it will be several weeks before they arrive so I will try to update when they get here.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Didn't buy this kit but did buy an interior carpet set from the same vendor on ebay last year for a GTV 2000.

The nylon loop pile carpet was of good enough quality but the fit and finish was decidedly lacking. Repeated email exchanges got me no where. They kept promising to send a missing piece and to replace a damaged piece but it never happened. Ended up using the carpet in a dog kennel. Sometimes good deals aren't. YMMV.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its here

They come from the Netherlands and it will be several weeks before they arrive so I will try to update when they get here.
FWIW: I rec'd the trunk carpet today and I feel it is of good quality. This is subjective of course. Its not a thick wool pile but is adequate for the trunk. The edges are all finished well, the main piece that covers the spare and fuel tank is thicker than the rest so I'm satisfied. Can anyone recommend a good glue or contact cement or will any carpet adhesive work?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't hear back from anyone on a good adhesive. Weldwood? I don't want to have to blast to get it off if I need to someday. TIA.

·
Registered
426 Posts
DAP (Weldwood) is a brand name used on a variety of adhesive formulations. Some are clearly sold to the automotive market.

Because I know how they behave and perform I stick with the 3M adhesives sold for use in the automotive OEM or restoration markets.

Yours is a straightforward application, and it sounds like a one-off project, so just about any contact cement formulated for vinyl or plastic trim will be effective.

BTW, on a few occasions when I was particularly indecisive I used Velcro (with high temp. adhesive backing) to keep carpet or rubber pieces in place in a GTV's trunk. Supposedly temporary, but in one instance I sold the car with Velcro holding rubber pieces in place....

Bob

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what a great suggestion! One could use velcro on either side near the top when one needs to change a marker bulb or get to the fuel return lines. Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts