Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New backing board for the trunk carpet that covers the tire jack. After cleaning the carpets I got some "hard board" from Lowes/Home Depot. I think it's called Masonite. they had 1/8" and 3/16". I think the original was 1/8 but I went with the thicker stuff. removes the staples and pried the crimping of the thumb hole grommet out to remove the old broken backer board. Traced out the new board and cut it on the table saw. The board is not symmetrical, one side is different than the other so you can't flip it left to right. So make sure you cut it so the rough side will mate to the carpet, not the smooth side. Glued it in place with some contact cement and placed bricks to press it while the glue dried. Then I brushed glue under the carpet lip and a bunch of clamps to hold the edge down while it dried. Since the new board is thicker (stronger) than the old one, the grommet will not pass thru far enough to re-crimp it over the opposing washer. So I straightened out the crimping as much as possible and just glued it in place with a little gorilla glue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would have come out better if you'd used more clamps! ;-)
there were a lot more clamps used. Just didn't take pictures of all of them.

Trunk carpet was in excellent condition, no need for Cabellas...now the ****pit carpets??? ratty nasty :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts