Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my 1961 SPRINT VELOCE doesn't have his trunk lid anymore. So i found one but this one doesn't fit at all !!!!
it seems corresponding to another serie, maybe the last tipo 101.
Any idea?
thank you for help !

IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Pininfarina panels for the large part are interchangeable, Bertone panels somewhat less so......

In fact very little is interchangeable on a Sprint, I know a guy who had his '61 Sprint stolen in a house robbery and the thieves rolled it in a ditch about 4 kms from his house, the drivers door opened in the roll and the car rolled over the door crunching it T the LHS roof A pillar rather badly. he sourced 3 spare doors from local Alfisti, plus a roof-&-pillars for the repairs

The body shop repaired the original crunched door and re-skinned it as they said it was less trouble than getting any one of the other 3 doors to fit, ditto the spare roof.

The good news is that the boot lid can be made to fit, the bad news is that it will take a lot of time and effort to do and you will need a very good body guy to get it right.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is hard to tell from the photos exactly what is going on with the trunk lid fit. I would suggest that (if you haven't already) you instal the rubber gasket and the trunk hinges to bring the metal trunk lid edges up to the actual lid position and check the fit. A new gasket may bring the lid edges above the flush position and in that case the gasket would be trimmed on it's underside. Dennie

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dennie, the lid on the photo has to have shorter curves than the shell and is smaller than the place where it should fit. I have to take the dimensions but the blue seems to be the same trunk as on my early sprint.

The blue for me is for 101 serie before interim.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
That blue lid looks...at least from the holes, to be a Series III Giulia Sprint lid, with the big chrome number plate bracket and the 1600 badge on the lower RHS

The pure 750 Series I boot lids have the opening for the aeroplane

The Interim / Transition Sprints also have the opening for the aeroplane, but the lid was a different shape as the fenders or mudguards on these cars were now pressed or stamped parts rather than the hand-beaten panels of the Series I cars.

The Series II pure 101 cars had no opening for the aeroplane

The Series III Giulia 1600cc cars + the last of them, the 1300 Sprint also had no opening for the aeroplane and an extra engine capacity badge on the lower RHS of the lid.

The stamped panels lasted from mid '58 to '65 (or very early '66) when the last of the 1300 Sprints were produced, by this time the dies were quite worn and because of this, the shapes of the panels had slowly changed over the years meaning that the closures (doors, bonnet & boot) were all hand fiddled and fettled on the line to suit individual chassis, hence parts from a '65 will not fit a '61, but parts from two different '61's may be very much closer, depending how far apart the chassis number are.

There is a definite difference in shape between a Series I Sprint and a Series II Sprint and nothing will be interchangeable unless you are prepared to do a huge amount of work.

I have a spare boot lid from a '60 and we repaired the original lid from Dad's 'January '60 Sprint as the other fitted like the back door of a Transit van.......

I realise this isn't the answer you were hoping for, unfortunately with Bertone there isn't an easy solution.

While Battista 'Pinin' Farina slept well at night knowing his design was good, Nuccio Bertone also slept well at night knowing that Luigi-on-the-line and his cousin Giovanni would just make it up as they went along......

And that's how it happened on the Bertone line and here we are 50 year later !!

Ciao
Greig

3 x 750B's
1 x 750E
1 x 750B Interim
1 x 10102
1 x 750D
2 x 10103 Interims
1 x 10109

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1961 sprint TRUNK LID needed

Allright,
thank you for those precisions!
So, i am searching a 1961 sprint trunk lid !!!!
Any help is appreciated
Thank you!

zzarchi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts