Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about these cars? A car-savvy friend who lives near Ann Arbor spotted the cars on a trailer on I-94 near Jackson heading East towards Detroit/Canada. He was going West, so he didn't get a good look, but he said they all had their tops up and he didn't see anything flapping in the wind, so he thinks they're not parts cars. He said that it looked like most were 105/115-series Duetto-S4 cars, but, again, he didn't get a good look. Between four and six Spiders.

Figured I'd ask here since it is quite unusual to see a truckload of Alfa Romeos in the United States?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Alfa is re-entering the US. Testing the market by selling some leftovers they found in a "barn" on the docks of New York.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not unusual since they were probably purchased for resale in Europe. Since the dollar is in the crapper our cars are very cheap for Europeans.
There are that many going back to Europe? In Italy, I recall seeing several S3/S4 Spiders that were obviously US market cars (center high mount stop light is a dead giveaway), but they accounted for maybe 1 out of every 100 Spiders I saw (or have seen on Italian eBay).

Alfa is re-entering the US. Testing the market by selling some leftovers they found in a "barn" on the docks of New York.
Ha! I'd buy one.

A former boss of mine bought a Fiat X1/9 that was a port leftover... two or three years after Fiat departed the US.

·
Out of the office!
11,649 Posts
There are that many going back to Europe? In Italy, I recall seeing several S3/S4 Spiders that were obviously US market cars (center high mount stop light is a dead giveaway), but they accounted for maybe 1 out of every 100 Spiders I saw (or have seen on Italian eBay).

Ha! I'd buy one.

A former boss of mine bought a Fiat X1/9 that was a port leftover... two or three years after Fiat departed the US.
When I lived in Dallas, I used to hang out with the late Gary Valant. Gary owned Valco. He had a friend, Peter Baak (http://www.alfaromeo-baak.nl/), who used to come over to Dallas just about every summer to visit and buy Spiders to take home. Peter seems to have come a long way since then. Check out his dealership.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I lived in Dallas, I used to hang out with the late Gary Valant. Gary owned Valco. He had a friend, Peter Baak (http://www.alfaromeo-baak.nl/), who used to come over to Dallas just about every summer to visit and buy Spiders to take home. Peter seems to have come a long way since then. Check out his dealership.
Wow! Impressive.

Maybe that's why there are so few Spiders in Dallas? He was buying all of them and sending them to the Netherlands.

Wonder if he would trade me even for a nice Giulia Super :confused::D

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
A fair trade.....

I think that you are right "on the money" ;^) about the increase of Alfas going back to Europe. The GTV6 below is headed for Holland. Couple low price with low mileage, rust free Calif. cars and it's just about iresistable.
The bright point for us is that there are many nice Giulia Supers across the pond available for fair prices. Brought my Rosso Amaranto '68 over last year for $10k including shipping.

Seems like a good deal for all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Super is gorgeous! I'd love to find one... I would be willing to send my Spider on an overseas voyage. :)

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Thanks!

The wife (a very special one! ) and I were on a trip to Holland to look for a Super when this happened to come up on German e-bay. We went to look at it and I was hooked!! 6k euros for the car ( cheaper than now ) plus $2k shipping to CA.
Next, we looked at this '70 1600 S. 56k kms, one owner and all original !! 9k euros.
What to do ????
Had to buy them both.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is may be possible that the cars were heading to Arizona for the Barrett-Jackson auction that happens sometime in January 2008. That was my first thought, but going to Europe also is a possibility. I wish there were some photographs.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The wife (a very special one! ) and I were on a trip to Holland to look for a Super when this happened to come up on German e-bay. We went to look at it and I was hooked!! 6k euros for the car ( cheaper than now ) plus $2k shipping to CA.
Next, we looked at this '70 1600 S. 56k kms, one owner and all original !! 9k euros.
What to do ????
Had to buy them both.
What to do next? Sell to Hooligan! :)

What a collection... but aren't you supposed to share? Send one my way! I've narrowly missed out on buying two Supers.

Hey Hooligan, my Super's not that nice on the outside but maybe I'll let you pet it sometime.
I would take you up on that offer at any moment! I've never even ridden in one, but I've loved them since seeing one in Amsterdam almost two years ago. I keep a model of one on my desk at work, too.

This is my photo, but others have posted the same car. I think it's well known in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey, Europe, take good care of our Alfas, please. Eventually, the exchange rates will flip the other way and we will want to buy them all back. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts