Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
due to Coronavirus lockdown here in Italy I am stuck at home without the possibility to access my car (the garage where she is stored is in the nearby town), but luckily I started the restoration of the interior just a couple of weeks before lockdown and I had the seats at home disassembled, so I am able to do some work at least on them :)
Now, after fightimg my way through the rusty seat pans, rusty cushion frames and the hateful and awfully rusted seat rails (still WIP), I started work on the reclining mechansim ,and once again one of the POs hit me again right in the face: looks like the people who "restored" them previously tried to disassemble them and completely stripped the head of one of the two big screws (one on each side), deciding then to leave it there and carry on with his wonderful work by slapping some paint with a brush on the whole thing. Also, the other screw while still having its head "intact", is also rusted and I can foresee similar problems happening when it will be my turn to tackle it. So my question is: can I drill the heck out of them without damaging other things?? I am attaching a couple of pictures to give the idea!
Ciao ragazzi!
?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Osso, the impact driver is probably one of the tools I used more often with these bloody seats and is there on the table reay to go in action! However, I am concerned that the really damaged screw is too far gone and I was wandering if I can "pull out" the mechanism by just removing the side with the good(ish) screw and pulling from the other, will it come out?

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,994 Posts
I wish I had better picture of the seat frames. The hinges will need to be removed to recover the seats.

If you want to remove the rod that connects both hinges, you can remove one hinge and then slide the rod out from that side. The method by which the rod attaches to the hinge is the same on both sides.

The frame has welded nuts on the inside for the attachment screws. If you take the back off the seat, you can gain access to the nut. With a dremel tool, you might be able to cut a slot in the screw. Then, use a slotted screw driver to unscrew the screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here is the update, the side with the screw still intact came out without issues, but now I am left with the seat back still with one adjuster on it... From your reply I understand that I should remove the whole upholstery of the back in order to access the captive nut on the frame, correct? It appears that currently I am able to remove just the square section bar which connect the two parts, but not the mechanism from the frame itself...I am leaning towards opening the metal on the side with the damaged screw and fight with the screw from outside (the upholstery and foam on my seat backs is actually in pretty good original shape and I didn'wat to mess with it)....Or call the upholstery guy who was fixing the lower part of the seats so he can temporary remove the upholstery so I can access the bolt from the back... time to do some thinking and a couple of calls.. I will let you know the progress, meanwhile thank you very much!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts