Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I continue, there are a myriad of posts for the same issue, and I’ve read most of them. Still stuck. I have an 88 Spider Quad. Car ran when parked a month ago, but now it will start very briefly and cut out after about a second or two. It then won’t even start up at all unless I let it sit for a while and the same sequence will happen: starts for second, but none after that. Here’s what has happened since it was last parked:

-I pulled the gearbox and did a full rebuild.
-I’m also prepping for a new interior so the cabin is pretty much gutted: no seats, seatbelts, center console, upper console, carpet, etc.

Here’s what I have tested/tried thus far:
Resistance checks on the following sensors:
-AAV: OK
-TPS: OK
-Altitude comp device: OK
-the two flywheel sensors on the bell housing: OK
VVT: OK
TTS: Not OK, tests as always “warm” so the CSI doesn’t fire. Shouldn’t matter, I don’t think.
CTS: OK
Fuel pump fuse: OK, but replaced anyway
All other fuses (ones in footwell, 8A in engine bay, 15A in engine bay): replaced all

Other checks/repairs:
-cleaned grounds in engine compartment
-cleaned ground on bell housing
-cleaned ground in rear parcel shelf
-cleaned ground under battery
-hooked up compression tester to CSI supply and saw 35psi
-can feel the main relay and drive relay kick on when key is turned, although the drive relay doesn’t every time. I imagine the only times it kicks on is when I stated earlier that it starts first try and then I have to wait a while to get it to go again.

Next steps until I hear from you guys:
-if I can get my girlfriend off her horse to help me, I want to put my hand on the fuel pump to see if it’s going while cranking.
-try swapping main relay just for kicks.

If you’ve made it this far in reading, I commend you. Thanks all!

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
try jumping the fuel relay (the big bosch one near the ecu) pin #30 to #87
that will (should) make the pumps run continuously and if so confirms the wiring to pumps is good as is the 'troublesome' 8A fuse holder .
(you changed the fuse, but if you still have the original bullet fuse holder they usually cause all the the problems...best just swop out for a blade fuse holder, or at least check it very carefully)

does it start and run when you jump the relay?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try jumping the fuel relay (the big bosch one near the ecu) pin #30 to #87
that will (should) make the pumps run continuously and if so confirms the wiring to pumps is good as is the 'troublesome' 8A fuse holder .
(you changed the fuse, but if you still have the original bullet fuse holder they usually cause all the the problems...best just swop out for a blade fuse holder, or at least check it very carefully)

does it start and run when you jump the relay?
YES, YES IT DOES

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Hooray then that relay is bad
Hard to find the big original Bosch relay and costly when you do find it!
KAE do a replacement which works but can leave the pumps running

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hooray then that relay is bad
Hard to find the big original Bosch relay and costly when you do find it!
KAE do a replacement which works but can leave the pumps running
that’s sad because the previous owner apparently replaced it less than a year ago. Maybe there’s an underlying issue... good thing I cleaned all the ground connections! Off to the salvage yard befoe they close, maybe I can find on an old BMW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts