Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91L, last few days throttle seems a bit jumpy but not really, today drive around a sweeping curve, check engine light comes on. I stop at a light and idle is jumping from around 900 up to 1500 and back down. I get back home and decide to check intake hose and while the clamp to the plenum seems loose I can see no cracks. I take off hose to check for oil blow back, while some, not too much. AFM does not have much residual but I clean and spray with electrical contact cleaner. Clean and check by pass hoses too. Put everything back together and now it won't fire. Just cranks. Went to pull code and I get 3333. Never heard of this. Any thoughts gang?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconnected battery and rechecked codes, now get 1214.

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Code 1214 is coolant temp sensor which is that hidden Bosch sensor in mid thermostat housing under top radiator hose to thermostat and faces at 45 degree angle towards right parking light. See if connector is seated properly and terminal pins locked into connector. Should not be connected to what you say you did.

Also check Bosch connector to Idle Actuator on back of intake plenum even though you got a 1214 code.

As for up and down idle fluctuation check for proper adjustment on min/max switch on throttle body. It should click on/off 0<1 degree of throttle lever movment.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So at 8:00PM PST I go to start her, she fires right up. Idles normal..... I'll check CTS tomorrow, hopefully she fires up at 5:30AM or I'll have to take the Ninja 12R in the AM and to my high school track meet. Crossing fingers ;)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next morning idle issue was back as well as code. Today I was finally able to get to the CTS. When I disconnected it I noticed some wires aft of the boot were cracked and exposed. Looks like I need to buy the harness side connector and splice that in.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after replacing the harness connector everything seemed fine. CEL was gone, car started right up and idled fine. I was out of solder so I used electrical tape to wrap the exposed wire. Drove about a mile or so to Harbor Freight for solder and went to lunch. A few hours later I soldered wires, and used heat shrink. Everything seemed normal. Then I drove maybe two miles and car died in a parking lot. Fired it up, it died again, like 3 times. I drove it about another mile and a half and at speed it's fine but when it got down to idle rpm it died again. Any suggestions of where to check?

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Go back and recheck your Bosch connector to idle actuator.

As for CTS once engine is warm it will run and idle OK with coolant temp sensor connector disconnected. Now if the two wires going to connector touching each other maybe not.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to disconnect battery again and I drove to work 19 miles each way and all was ok. Crossing fingers :)

Thanks Steve, wires were isolated from each other, now soldered and heat shrinked separately. Will monitor and keep everyone posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts