Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the whole T/A unit out of my 1985 GTV6, cleaned all the gunked up insulation tape off of it, and reassembled it. However, now that I'm trying to reinstall it in the car, it doesn't seem to want to fit, at least not how you'd think it would. My question is: is the top of the T/A box supposed to sit FLUSH with the bottom of the glove box, or is there a gap in there? If I try to get it flush, it just doesn't seem to want to fit, and you certainly can't connect that pipe that comes out of the top of the box (which goes to the evaporator) into its hook up point in the firewall. I appear to have all of the correct mounting brackets-- the long metal one across the front and the angled one in the back.

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
70 Posts
I got the whole T/A unit out of my 1985 GTV6, cleaned all the gunked up insulation tape off of it, and reassembled it. However, now that I'm trying to reinstall it in the car, it doesn't seem to want to fit, at least not how you'd think it would. My question is: is the top of the T/A box supposed to sit FLUSH with the bottom of the glove box, or is there a gap in there? If I try to get it flush, it just doesn't seem to want to fit, and you certainly can't connect that pipe that comes out of the top of the box (which goes to the evaporator) into its hook up point in the firewall. I appear to have all of the correct mounting brackets-- the long metal one across the front and the angled one in the back.
View attachment 1625578
View attachment 1625580
View attachment 1625581

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is super helpful. Thanks so much! So it looks like it actually is NOT flush with the bottom of the glove box, but it comes down at an angle to accommodate that pipe that goes into the evaporator.

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
70 Posts
If you need any other pictures just let me know. I'm doing the same job and take lots of pictures.

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually- do you have any closeups of how the microswitch is set up in relation to that lever controlled valve? My microswitch works fine, but the arm that activates it seemingly hangs out in the open. Is that arm supposed to be pushed by something?

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
70 Posts
I didn't open up my T/A unit, just the heater core and blower unit in the dash. I believe the switch is in the Tropic Air unit or at least I see that on the shop manual. The other option is your referencing the heater control valve for the heater core. If that's it, mine is not original and I still haven't untangled that mess yet. I'm guessing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If you need any other pictures just let me know. I'm doing the same job and take lots of pictures.
Great photos there Sobol. It takes me back to the work my son and I did on his TA system in 2014-15. Wish I had taken more/better photos at that time.
Marco you can't go wrong if you bolt up the front of the unit first, then bring up the back to where the bracket will reach the bottom of the glove box. Yes, the hoses are somewhat flexible, but we don't want a lot of pressure on the solder joints at the copper tubing and expansion valve. And I used a big fender washer on the bolt through the plastic glove box floor to help spread out the load at that hole. Didn't want it cracking out.

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sobol- when you opened up the heater core, how did you disconnect the hoses so you didnt get fluids everywhere? I have my dash out and want to take the climate control unit out so I can inspect/clean everything, but I'm afraid of getting coolant everywhere.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well, maybe so... maybe the switch in the photo I posted is attached to a wire lead, and it was just laying up there. If you see your microswitch at the heater valve, then that's good enough for me! I never messed with the heater valve area nor the wiring, just made sure nothing was left unconnected. Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also- what's the shop manual you're using that has the T/A on it? I have a GTV6/milano manual, but it's confusing because you have to switch between the two cars. Are you using CarDisk?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
This is very interesting. Based on the pictures in this thread, my Maratona did not have a complete TA system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
70 Posts
Sobol- when you opened up the heater core, how did you disconnect the hoses so you didnt get fluids everywhere? I have my dash out and want to take the climate control unit out so I can inspect/clean everything, but I'm afraid of getting coolant everywhere.
Marco, I disconnected all the accessory hoses in the engine bay, plugged them, a pushed them towards the firewall as I pulled the entire climate control system box (Heater core, dual blowers and controls) down and back. Once climate control box pulls away from the fire wall find the drain tube on the back of the box and gently disconnect it (hose clamp) and pull the tubing back thru the floor (it drains under the car). With the drain tubing safely removed the box will slide out toward the gear shift a few more inches. Once the box was sitting firmly on the tunnel I disconnected the 17mm/19mm Freon tubing connection and pulled the remaining tubes thru the firewall. Everything went back together fairly easy, yet the tolerances are tight. Before you start take a picture of the tubing going thru the firewall (in the footwell) to document the orientation of each tube at their firewall penetration. I also had the passenger seat removed during this work. I'm not sure if that's necessary, but it may be?

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
70 Posts
Also- what's the shop manual you're using that has the T/A on it? I have a GTV6/milano manual, but it's confusing because you have to switch between the two cars. Are you using CarDisk?
Marco, Yes, I purchased the Deluxe GTV6 document package from Cardisk. It includes technical bulletin, number 87-01 titled "GTV6 Heavy Duty Tropical Air Conditioning" with updated wiring diagrams and parts list for MY 1984 through 1986. Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts