Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Those are the water temp gauge and water temp warning light senders that look like extra plugs...they have big rubber boots over them normally.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think that it's a standard Fiat engine as the inlet and exhaust are on the wrong sides (although it looks a lot like one). Looks like it's turboed???

Simon

·
Registered
54 Posts
nope, inlet and exhaust are the same as always. The head is installed backwards, you can tell because the plugs are angled towards the (normally) rear cylinder, in this case the opposite. Also the coolant inlet in the rear of the head is another giveaway. The cam boxes are installed backwards from normal.

Other than that looks like an 8v fiat based turbo motor..

·
Premium Member
9,747 Posts
nope, inlet and exhaust are the same as always. The head is installed backwards, you can tell because the plugs are angled towards the (normally) rear cylinder, in this case the opposite. Also the coolant inlet in the rear of the head is another giveaway. The cam boxes are installed backwards from normal.

Other than that looks like an 8v fiat based turbo motor..
Looks like a 1991 164 2.0L turbo to me.

Ignition unit on the passenger fender, Turbo intake tubing seems correct, spark plugs wires seem normal. Everything all matches up to me unless I am not seeing something? You say factory installed so it can't be a fiat motor, unless it is a Lancia Thema turbo?

J

·
Registered
503 Posts
i would just love to have an alfa diesel, might not be the fastest alfa but i bet the engine is more reliable. not to mention would run cooler in the southern part of the states in the summer :) and to be able to leave the people behind you in a cloud of smoke:D

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Well, it is a 4 banger gas turbo, as you can see the sparkplug wires coming from the distributor, and the rubber intake hose from the filter going down to where the turbo is above the tranny, and the return intake hose going to the airbox on top in back coming back up from the turbo. Also, the exhaust is collected to the left of the car to feed into the turbo above the tranny. The fuel injection piping is just ahead of the airbox, feeding at the intake.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Diesels don't have spark plugs, do they? And I'd not think that they'd put powered glow plugs on, either, but what do I know about it?

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
Well, they might have glowplugs, but hard to tell about this one. I remember the instructions of some diesels, where you turn on the key and wait for the little light to come on telling you that the glow plugs are hot enough to start the combustion process so you can start the car. Maybe it is a diesel?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I believe the only factory fitted 2 liters for 164s were the 2 L Twin Spark, and the 2 L Turbo, so I would have to guess that it is the Turbo...

Best regards,

·
Registered
400 Posts
Return to my previous comment....it's looks very much like the 8V Thema turbo motor. Petrol engine, 2l, very turbo laggy but fun when you reach the whoosh zone. Alfa/Fiat/Lancia all much the same and many, many shared parts, so why not a motor or two. I used to have an 8V Thema turbo...and it looked just like that. Bear in mind the shared floorpan etc of the Thema/164 family as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It is indeed a 2 liter, 4 cilinder turbo engine, same as used in the Lancia Thema and the Fiat Croma.
This car is a 1988(july) first series 164 who was imported from Italy to Holland.
Although is has a few scratches, it's still in good shape.It is the first time I've seen a 4 cilinder turbobenzina, there are a few Turbo Benzina's around, but they are all 2V6 turbo's.
I think the 4 cilinder was only in production until 1990.
It's VIN is 00251555.

If you look at the instrument cluster, the voltmeter is replaced by a turbogauge.

·
Premium Member
15,555 Posts
No question it is 4 cyl and turbo. I do think it is gas, as when you look up the parts in the parts eper disc, there is both the 4 and 6 cyl gas turbo engines with sparkplugs and dist.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts