Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had similar issues, even after cleaning connections, etc. It turned out to be corrosion on the ground wire underneath the clamp itself. I was able to cut off and re-strip the wire as a temporary fix and then sourced a new ground cable, I think from Amazon.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My best guess is that with corrosion on the wires under theconnector, the actual contact area is pretty minimal. Enough to flow a few amps when you turn the key on but when you try and start it the big hit of juice it sort of instantly oxidizes the small number of wire strands actually in contact with the connector, thereby breaking the ground.

I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do I play one on TV, so take that theory for what it's worth. Bottom line is, I'd recommend replacing the negative cable and enjoying worry free motoring. Well, as much as one can in any old car, especially feisty ones like our Alfas...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just to emphasize, my issue was with the end of the ground cable that gets clamped into the cable terminal.

Mine look like this:

I pulled my hair out for a week chasing this, finally disassembled the cable terminals and found heavy corrosion on the cable end wire itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.