Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Bob at Centerline was generous enough to drop off the middle and rear sections of the exhaust for my '74 on his way home the other day. The front section is on back order. Being the eager beaver I am I decided to try to install the middle and rear sections using my friends lift (yes its nice to have a friend with a 4 post lift in his garage a block away).

At any rate, there doesnt seem to be a slip joint in my exhaust - is that correct? We thought about hacking the current exhaust but in measuring it mine is more egg shaped as opposed to round which made me nervous to make the cut.

ALSO, while under the car I started looking around as usual.. Look at the attached photo. This is of the driver side inner fender region. Anything seem odd about this to you?!

Thanks for the input as always.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
What year/model Alfa, what type of exhaust?

I have always installed my exhaust systems starting at the front, and moving back. So, if you are waiting for the front section, I think you're going to have a hard time if you install the center & rear now, and then try to slip in the front later. But, maybe it can be done that way.

I have found that Centerline's basic exhaust system (not stainless steel, not high performance) fits very well. Yes, there is a slip joint between the front and middle section. And, the front section needs to be trimmed based on whether you have a spider, GT, or Berlina (at least it did on the one they sent for my GT about 3 years ago).

When you say "egg-shaped" do you mean that a pipe is oval rather than round? These things often get banged up in handling - if your pipe has gotten flattened, you'll need to make it round again.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay-

My car is a '74 Spider. What I meant is the current exhaust on the car is oval shaped all the way through the section I would cut into. I am in fact trying to use the standard Centerline exhaust. Did the factory exhaust not have the slip joint that the centerline one does?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Correct ! From new the Alfa is one piece from the header to the rear axil. Very long !!
Then the short piece over the diff and out the rear.
New ones usually come in 3 pieces. Front, middle and rear.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In other words, I couldve hacked the original and put the new pieces on? Its just weird that its so unround haha - and it doesnt seem to be from being banged

Also, anyone look at my photo I posted? Notice the inner fender how the bottom screw isnt in the hole. Is this normal with age or is it a sign of a previous accident?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
It may just be a sign of Alfa quality control....;^)
Also, some PO could have taken the panel off and not put it back right.
On the exhaust, some owners just need to change one section, so the replacements are made for that. You can but a tubing expander to make one tube large enough to slip the new piece in and clamp it in place.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
What I meant is the current exhaust on the car is oval shaped all the way through the section I would cut into.
Hmm, interesting. I believe that the stock system used pipe with a circular section. That's all I have ever seen.

I am in fact trying to use the standard Centerline exhaust. Did the factory exhaust not have the slip joint that the centerline one does?
Well, 101/105 guy says that the stock system was all in one piece from the header to the 3-bolt flange just ahead of the axle. I would certainly defer to him. However, most aftermarket systems break the exhaust system into three components, and use that "slip joint" to accommodate the different lengths of the spider, GT, and Berlina.

You may be able to cut your current system, hammer the pipe round, and get it to fit into the Centerline middle section. But, no guarantee that the o.d. of one pipe will fit into the i.d. of the other.

·
Registered
411 Posts
On my 74, it came as one piece up to the tail section. I bought mine from John Norman. I took off some of the wrapping that it was shipped with, than fit it into my Volvo(4 inches out the passenger back window) and drove back home to Fresno.
Larry at APE recommended the original replacement from John.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kipp.

Since I've already got 2 of the 3 pieces I'm going to try to stick it out with what I've got.

I'm also concerned with the image I posted. Does anyone else think that looks weird? Could that be a sign of prior damage and could it be a reason why my drivers door doesnt line up correctly?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hay Jeff I need to get under my Alfa and see if I have that same thing. That screw looks like it could be a factory screwy deal.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Don't think so. If you look at the top piece of sheetmetal you can see the outline of the washer that was there originally

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right thats my question as well. BUT Thats why I wonder how common this issue is and what I should do about it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts