Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Which looks better?

I really love these wheels but I don't like the modern 15 inch look with non period low profile tyres (225/45 x15). So I have contemplated Michelin TB15's but with the larger diameter sidewall (available in either 215/55 or 270/45 x 15) But I am afraid I will have wheel-arch clearance problems. So I thought why not continue with the 225/45 but paint the outer edge of the wheel black so aesthetically at least you "get the look" Here's a black tape mock up comparison.
Comments?
Absolutely... no on the black paint :).

How about getting period looking 8x13 or 9x13 gtam, bwa’s , 4 spoke gr 2 campy wheels that these cars ran on back in the day? There is a wonderful selection of 205 225 235 245 available for 13’s with pudgy sidewalls for the proper vintage look these days.

The beautiful Michelin TB, 3 of my friends are running them... while I’m sitting on the fence. They come in 13’s too but they cost a small fortune... to make matters worse the change the compound recently so they wear out even quicker. You can get a set of period correct 13 wheels and tires cheaper than just 4 TBs.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Which looks better?

I really love these wheels but I don't like the modern 15 inch look with non period low profile tyres (225/45 x15). So I have contemplated Michelin TB15's but with the larger diameter sidewall (available in either 215/55 or 270/45 x 15) But I am afraid I will have wheel-arch clearance problems. So I thought why not continue with the 225/45 but paint the outer edge of the wheel black so aesthetically at least you "get the look" Here's a black tape mock up comparison.
Comments?
Chip Foose does this often, but with makes the wheel look like part of a white wall tyre.
Pete

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Absolutely... no on the black paint :).

How about getting period looking 8x13 or 9x13 gtam, bwa’s , 4 spoke gr 2 campy wheels that these cars ran on back in the day? There is a wonderful selection of 205 225 235 245 available for 13’s with pudgy sidewalls for the proper vintage look these days.

The beautiful Michelin TB, 3 of my friends are running them... while I’m sitting on the fence. They come in 13’s too but they cost a small fortune... to make matters worse the change the compound recently so they wear out even quicker. You can get a set of period correct 13 wheels and tires cheaper than just 4 TBs.
Agree with all your points.... however, I have gone down the big brake route due to bigger engine power, so 15’s it is and TB’s will be fitted! Go all in, or go home!!! 😎👍

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Chip Foose does this often, but with makes the wheel look like part of a white wall tyre.
Pete
and....since he does it often it looks correct on a race inspired gtv? :)

i know chip and respects his craft as an american hot rodder. he being widening his projects to include vintage foreign sports cars these last few years. i think he's a little out of his swim lane imo on building european tribute cars without convincing historical reference.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Agree with all your points.... however, I have gone down the big brake route due to bigger engine power, so 15’s it is and TB’s will be fitted! Go all in, or go home!!! 😎👍
like it....sounds good those tires are the bee's knee's! 180s are equivalent to 225-230mm in section 15's when measured if im not mistaken.

15 dont look so out of place since the Trans Ams GTV "Wetson and Pepsi" on larger minilites with slightly flared bodywork back in the day that are similar to the gr2 flares on your car...

here a link to your gr 2 flares which were somewhat of a mystery this country. ive notice after i posted it 12 years ago Alfaholics took my picture and started to produce them for sale shortly afterwards. link: Trans Am Front Flares

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Working on the dash and console. Got me to Billet Automotive Buttons - Design your own custom billet buttons 12v in Oz. Great service and very cool switches. I know that purist may not approve of this look over toggle switches, but with the overall look of the interior I am trying to create I think they look very neat! Have faith...slowly but surely it's starting to come together!

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Gauges are coming back soon all fixed and calibrated correctly. Tach innards swapped in from an "electronic" spider tach. Speedo cleaned inside and out. Temp gauge cleaned in and out. Oil temp gauge made from an old "olio" one. Volt meter made from a 60's donor. Fuel gauge innards swapped for ATL gauge so it will work with sender unit in racing tank! All thanks go to Jim Simpson at O.D.D Parts. O.D.D. Parts. He's a genius!

Attachments

81 - 89 of 89 Posts