Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
At the time when I bought the Darstan header I was focused on getting good gasflow and reducing heat in the engine bay. When we dyno'd the engine, for comparison, the header was swapped with a prefabricated prototype header that the engine builder had built for racing (in his experience the best header performance he'd ever seen on the dyno!!). The results of this test were interesting. Although the engine produced the same power, the rpm for peak HP was a little lower. There was however, a noticeable difference in the torque curve. The prototype giving more torque earlier and then sustaining a flatter curve. For this fast road engine running ****** US gas I'm OK with the Darstan. If you have an all out race car, running race fuel, then headers do make a difference for peak performance.

I am considering a fabricated cowl for the airbox to channel cool air to the carbs. I will be keeping the twin headlamp arrangement at the front of the GTV. Have to wait until the body is back to look at options.

S

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi there Steve. I sent you a pm a few days ago. I've got experience with a couple of paint/body folks in the Bay Area that may be of interest to you depending on the type/level of work you are looking for. Feel free to drop me an email. trich642 AT gmail.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Just had news from the bodyshop that my car is "next in line"!!! So, hopefully will start to send progress shots starting next week!. Meanwhile, going to get the prop shaft painted so it looks coooler !!! and have just rebuilt the Burman steering box with the (very beefy) Alfaholic billet casing. I thought it best to upgrade because of the 14x 8 GTAM wheels I'll be using! And it looks so awesome. Yes I must confess they are titanium bolts!

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great looking project. Unfortunately they always take so much more time than you want them to. I am looking forward to seeing it come together.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Today I took all my gauges to Jim Simpson up at Oddparts ([email protected]) This is the go to guy for anything and everything odd! He did a fantastic job on refurbishing my indicator stalk and is the go to guy globally for a variety of lost skills and intricate engineering expertise. Anything from a set of 1930's concourse winning Alfa 8C hubcap to remanufactured Ferrari instrument cowls to re casting Mercedes 300SL Gullwing lug nut wrenches! You get the picture. Nothing is off limits for Jim.

I have asked him for a renewed and refaced speedo, the original cable tachometer will be replaced by the innards of a later spider digital version to mate with the new MSD ignition but keep the oil pressure gauge. Everything will be calibrated correctly. The temp gauge will be checked and the fuel gauge will have the electrical innards of the new ATL gauge fitted and calibrated to the new in-tank sender unit. Finally I will be adding two new gauges in keeping with the original GTAM style to the dash. An oil temp gauge (taking an older styled Oilo gauge and swapping the innards of the same era temp gauge) and then taking the temp gauge and refitting with a volt meter innards. The car will then have 4 driver facing gauges, two in the original position, the other two matching in the dashboard radio cur out area. Should look good when done! Cant wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Another piece of the jigsaw

I kinda like the black brushed anodized look on the console. Anyone got an old gear leaver gaiter (to use as a template for the leather) and the plastic back fittings for the chrome bezel that attaches it all to the console? Before anyone comments......your right no heater slider. The GTAM's didnt have one (blanking plate)

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Slowly....but surely

So came back from a trip to find my propshaft had been dropped off after bing painted and the 2 gauges that I found on feabay had arrived from a seller in Moscow no less! I must admit to being a little apprehensive in opening the box up but yep, all's well and they are now off to Mr Gaugeguy who is going to sort them out for me.

Off to see if there has been any progress on the bodywork today........!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
At last! I am at the front of the Queue

Yipeee! Progress! Finally, the wait is over...my car is next in-line to get finished! The roof, trunk and bonnet (hood) have all been sorted smoothed and aligned! Next week starting from the back of the car there is the promise of activity....... I will believe it when I see it!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Progress....I am a believer!

The process to turn a 50 year old body back into a thing of beauty is a detailed and painstaking process so I am told!.....this is the only philosophy my wife and I agree on regarding this project!!!! :grin2:

A 5 step process no less, just to get it to the fully primed stage.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
What a cool, gorgeous project. You have done such a good and detailed job. It will look great. And you have two great track with in a few hours of you. Maybe I missed it, but was your HP and torque numbers on the engine?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Which looks better?

I really love these wheels but I don't like the modern 15 inch look with non period low profile tyres (225/45 x15). So I have contemplated Michelin TB15's but with the larger diameter sidewall (available in either 215/55 or 270/45 x 15) But I am afraid I will have wheel-arch clearance problems. So I thought why not continue with the 225/45 but paint the outer edge of the wheel black so aesthetically at least you "get the look" Here's a black tape mock up comparison.
Comments?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
That looks surprisingly true to what a real sidewall would look. One possible issue I can imagine is when it gets dirty, the tire will turn a lot browner than the painted part of the wheel and it will look strange.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts