Flat torque from 4200 rpm

Chuffed!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Media Blasting the shell

It's now time to focus on finishing the bodywork. This is where the restoration really starts and arguably should have been done first. However, now at this stage and knowing that their was little or no rust, I have had the car media blasted to remove all the old paint. A scary prospect on any old car as you never quite know what you are going to find under 50 years of paint.

I am somewhat pleased at what we found as I have now eradicated all previous owners botch jobs and I am back to the beginning so to speak! Apparently the car had a fender bender at some point in its life. Front corner and rear side panel so it had a skim coat of bondo that was basically on every panel, in some places up to 1/2 thick! That's the reason why the driver's door was a different color under the red paint, as it must have been replaced as part of the repair. Just goes to show, if you are going to do a job properly..........

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looking great on the engine, and the body really doesn't look that bad considering age and the fact that it is/was a race car. Where abouts in NorCal are you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
dyno run

We learned a lot. A whole day on a dyno and you get to dial in and understand a great deal about your engine. I'd highly recommend it! We had no denotation we ran 92 gas, we have a VW MSD disti modified to fit with MSD ignition BR7ES plugs and a Darstan header

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
Sounds sweet when working hard! :)

Pete

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Keeping it together over 50 years!

Progress......having stepped back and taken a long hard look at what was left of the body after media blasting I have started to take the necessary steps to rebuild. On detailed inspection, it was far easier and more cost effective to replace the complete front clip and the upper section of the LH front wing (fender). Also have decided to replace the front floor wells and repair the RH lower front fender (wing) and the inner sill and jacking point there too. Classic Alfa do supply excellent panels and offer a great service for body parts.

Stepping back, it looks like the car has an interesting 50 year history! It's like a championship boxer that's been bashed about a fair bit. Seems it has been patched up along the way to go the full 15 rounds. So far I have determined it has been bashed in the LH rear wing above the wheel arch, had a replacement drivers door, front RH fender bashed up and repaired, replacement LH front fender (that was brazed on!), had the guts taken out of the truck spare wheel well and fuel tank area, and of course all the butchery around the hanging pedals that started the restoration process in the first place! What a history for a basically sound rust free car!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
We learned a lot. A whole day on a dyno and you get to dial in and understand a great deal about your engine. I'd highly recommend it! We had no denotation we ran 92 gas, we have a VW MSD disti modified to fit with MSD ignition BR7ES plugs and a Darstan header

https://youtu.be/TjkHenLGWj4
Wow, very nice!

Dumb question: There seemed to be a serious delay when going to WOT on the bell crank and when the motor actually started to wind up. Was that just a video issue or was there really something going on there?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hi there, No, no known issues, ran as sweet as a nut? Not sure about the delay.....everyone seemed pleased with the results. The Dyno run was here in San Carlos CA and Gerrard the shop owner who had been dynoing all sorts of engines for many years unfortunately succumbed to cancer shortly after this engine run. Lovely guy.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So sorry this has been a long time coming. I am absolutely super frustrated at the lack of pace on the bodywork of my car. ITS BEEN 2 YEARS IN THE MAKING and I am still at he back of the queue! It seems that if you live in the Bay Area and you have a car that isn't worth $0.5m or upwards then you cannot get mindshare from the bodyshops who know what they are doing! I have been promised and promised that my car would be finished next month, next week, starting tomorrow, and then nothing! The grand total of effort for the last year has been the hood, roof and trunk have been worked on! I am at my whits end! Looking at out of state alternatives! Any offers! The car needs maybe 1 week of weld/fab and then prep for paint!!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So to alleviate boredom and frustration I have been busy on the fun bits.........just waiting for the body to come back means you go OTT on the detail of other stuff. Engine and gearbox all together at last!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I had my '72 GTV Historic race car done at:

Stone's Metal Shop
Gardena | CA 90248
(310) 851-9301

Very happy with their work. Not cheap and busy, as I think all really good shops are. The GTV had been a race car in Europe since new and was "well used". Front clip, rear clip and roof had all been replaced along the way...

HTH,
Tom

Photos below:

Period photo, Brands Hatch, c.1974
When I received the car, c.2012
At Stone's, c. 2013
At Stone's, c.2013
Finished at Buttonwillow, c. 2014

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Making the interior happen.....well there was none on this car when I got it.......so slowly but surely and with massive help form AlfaBB members its starting to come together. Dash redone. Center console and center section now all cracks are repaired have been recovered in leather as will the retro bucket seats and door cards (once made). I remade all the wood inserts in Aluminum then brushed them before being black anodizing to get the GTAM look. I am pleased with the results! The gauges are off to the gauge wizard tomorrow to make sure they all work and are calibrated correctly. Speedo will be original, Tach will be later Spider electronic innards on original 1750 Tach/oil pressure gauge. Fuel gauge will be original with ATL innards connected and calibrated to the fuel cell. All instrument bulbs will be LED and I am thinking about adding a Oil temp and Volt meter if I can find suitable period gauges and place them where the radio should be. Finally the toggle switches will all be replaced with LED lit toggles. You can see where I am coming from with this rebuild. I am subtlety upgrading modernity for originality in this rebuild as I want upmost reliability yet hopefully retaining the character of the original without going to garish. Taking my inspiration from Singer and Alfaholics!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
few questions on engine: why a Darstan header and not a Spruell. Last one has a bigger ID.
Ans I suppose there will come a airbox with cold air pickup from the front?

41 - 60 of 78 Posts