Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any chemical such as vinegar that can be added to the car wash bucket that will cut through sap and not harm the paint? I do use fairly warm water when scrubbing down, but not rinsing off.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,439 Posts
Nothing you can put in the water: it would be too dilute. Sap is tough stuff and you need to spot treat it. Get some tar and sap remover at the auto parts store: it's paint safe.

I use the Turtle Wax stuff in the white bottle and it seems to work okay.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
An alternative is to use overspray clay - it's almost magical stuff. You will have to lubricate well, and keep folding the clay to keep from spread the sap around, but it really does work great. I use Mother's or Griot's.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Unfortunately it's over the entire car. I've thought about using the pre-prep spray. I believe it is the same stuff as tar remover. And there is paint thinner which doesn't seem to hurt paint...as opposed to lacquer thinner.

Once I get it removed I'm going to have to cover the car every time I park it under the sap tree. I won't bore you as to why I park it there and how it ties into my doing bodywork and paint. Just does.

Gordy, I've never heard it called overspray clay - though it rhymes nicely. Does it really work for overspray? I'd think not. The clay 'bar' is way too much like work.

I was sure hoping someone would come up with a magic elixir that would just lift and float the sap away leaving a perfect concours shine. I ask you, is that too much to expect?

Oh.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
If you look in any owners book from a 50s car, including Alfa Giuliettas, it recomends using diesel oil to wash away tar and sap. Then wash and wax as usual.
On the big 'merican iron of the day, the diesel would run behind chrome body strips and keep the steel clips from rusting.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A belated thanks all. I've not had a chance to try any out, unfortunately my afternoons into the evening have all been booked doing work stuff. When I do I'll let you know what worked best.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, after finally getting a chance to wash the car, much, though not all, of the tree sap came off. It sure could use a good polishing/buffing, but that will have to wait. I did use a lot more (Mother's) car soap than usual, so perhaps that helped.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
...Gordy, I've never heard it called overspray clay - though it rhymes nicely. Does it really work for overspray? I'd think not. The clay 'bar' is way too much like work....
Biba -
My "jar" from Meguiar's calls it (and I quote) Body Shop Professional Overspray Clay. It goes on to state..."Safely Removes Bonded Surface Contaminants"...and further...."quickly removes bonded surface contaminants such as overspray, industrial fallout, tar, rail dust, and tree sap mist."
I use it every Spring (especially on horizontal surfaces) when I bring my cars out of winter storage - after stripping the wax from the previous year. Then it's on to polishing and re-applying wax. One full day's work each Spring gets me through the Summer. (Of course, summers are pretty short up here in the great PNW!!!!) :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
What about Greased Lightning sold at General Dollar? Will it harm the paint? Someone mentioned using automotive clay and with a water-based lubricate, whatever those are.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mineral Spirits

If you want something non-commercial and don't want to mess with diesel, get some Mineral Spirits at any hardware, big-box or paint store. It's good for a world of cleaning around your car and won't hurt your paint (unless your paint is really shot). If the spot is stubborn, soak a cotton ball or piece of sponge with the spirits, place it on the spot and let it soak.

It will strip your wax off, so you'll have to reapply wax wherever you used the spirits.

NO GREASED LIGHTNING or similar nasty cleaning stuff unless you want your driveway to become the color of your car. (Think about it...)

Water-based lubricant: well, try car wash soap diluted in water, in a spray bottle. Keep spraying as you use the clay (I believe the clay bar directions will say as much).

Chuck

Oh, War Eagle!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good, Bad and the Ugly

Frank!

You guys are having a great season! Us, whew.... recording-setting bad.

Ugly? We get bad and ugly! :(

Chuck

Auburn '75, '77, '78

1 - 13 of 13 Posts