Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I just purchased a MyLaps transponder for my '68 GT jr. racecar. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on best place(s) to install on the car

Thanks
-JT

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Rule of thumb I have used: it has to see the pavement. Then find the best "protected" mounting place. Protected from flying debris from the tires, etc.
Also make it easy to install/remove. Make a convenient power location with some sort of plug.
OH, AND REMEMBER TO WRITE THE TRANSPONDER NUMBER SOMEPLACE THAT YOU CAN GET TO SO THAT AT REGISTRATION YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT WHEN THEY ASK YOU YOUR TRANSPONDER #. Oh sorry was I shouting???
After your first run with it head to Timing to make sure they read it when you were on the track.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
transponder

Thanks all- I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a spot in the wheel well where I could reasonably drill holes and be able to get a nut on the other side of the screw. I originally was going to install it in the headlight bucket (I made a bracket out of a piece of sheet metal that got the transponder flush with the front edge of the car) but I got worried about the what was mentioned about flying debris. I wonder if there isn't as much crap flying around under the wheel well?
Anyway, It's looks like my bracket will work on the rear part of the front wheel well. It should be an easy install (We'll see tonight) and should allow for removal without having to take the wheel off. I'll report back after the install. I have an event this week, so I'll be able to see if I was successful with the location.....

-JT

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
However, for Time Trials I considered a "variable" mount system: transponder on a spring powered pulley system.

Start a lap with the transponder in the rear. Trip the pulley to move the transponder to the front to finish the lap.
BUT the problem was/is that I am such a crappy driver the time improvement was overcome by my inconsistent driving.:frown2:

·
Administrator
16,482 Posts
Start a lap with the transponder in the rear. Trip the pulley to move the transponder to the front to finish the lap.
Perhaps mount the transponder to a RC car with a launch ramp under the racecar?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
transponder

"BUT the problem was/is that I am such a crappy driver the time improvement was overcome by my inconsistent driving."

I resemble that comment!

-JT

I was able to mount the transponder last night, I think it will work out. I'll give it a shot and see how things go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
transponder update

So, I was able to test the mylaps X2 this past weekend at Thompson. Things didn't start well. I didn't get timed for qualifying. It didn't seem like the mounting point was the issue. Fortunately, the guy in the garage stall next to me suggested I go to the timing and scoring tower and get it checked out. So, he takes me over to the tower and there are about 5-6 people up there with laptops. My newfound friend Ian asks the group who might be able to help with a transponder problem. All of the middle aged folks point to this one guy that looks likes he's 17 years old. Now, the new transponders are much more complicated than the old version and the general opinion in the tower is that they hate the new-fangled ones. Anyway, the young dude hooks the thing up to his laptop and finds that there is a firmware update for it. Keep in mind, I just bought this thing 2 weeks ago and when I registered it on the laptop there was no indication of any required updates. Additionally, it doesn't appear as though it was registered. He downloads the software, I re-register the device and voila, all the right lights start blinking.
Next thing I know one of the timers is asking me what the number on my transponder is. I tell them and they tell me to get the heck out of there because it's registering as I'm standing there and there is a race in process! So, I thank everyone and motor down the stairs out of there.
From there, everything went fine; got times for every session thereafter.
I don't know if there's any moral here other than don't be a dumbass (like me) and download all of the instructions (the device only comes with a useless quickstart guide)

-JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts