Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to rebuild a transmission for my 1991 spider, and searching for a good donor transmission to swap into it.

I have found a transmission from a '73 Spider, and am wondering if this is the exact same unit as is in my '91 Spider.

I really don't want to rebuild the wrong transmission - that would be bad....

Thanks for your input.

Aaron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, all 5 speed spider and gtv transmissions are identical.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
For 2 liter engines I heard the same. My 1600 has the same tranny but a different bell housing. But then again, my shifter has to be pushed down in order to get it into reverse.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
CAUTION

just swapped mine over.

Make sure that it has got a hydraulically operated clutch & not a cable operated one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hydraulic vs. cable-actuated clutch shouldn't make a difference if I'm only replacing items south of the bell housing, correct?

Let me know if I'm off base here.

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
913 Posts
Almost all 101/105/115 gearboxes have ratios of 3.30, 1.99, 1.35, 1.00 (4th) and 0.79. The 1300 cc cars that had 5-speed boxes (Giulia TI, GT Jr, Jr.Z) had a 0.86 for 5th. There are some boxes with close ration gears but they both very rare and very expensive.

The older boxes, 101 boxes, had what were called “Porsche” synchros. These are easy to spot because the synchro rings are grooved rather than being sintered. These old synchros need Shell Dentax oil in order to shift smoothly. It seems the newer oils are too slippery. Shell Dentax is hard to find but then so are the old synchros.

Most of the boxes will bolt up to most of the bell housings but a good safe bet is to stick with the bell housing your car came with. This will minimize issues with clutch actuation.

One thing to note is that the newer bell housing sealed in the shift rods. The older ones had o-rings sealing the rods. The o-rings usually don’t seem to get replaced when the boxes are rebuilt so the old bell housings result in a lot more oil leakage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts