Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace the front and rear seals on my transmission. It is a 67 Super with cable operated clutch and the trans is out of the car.

Any words of advice/warning would be great appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,700 Posts
You have to remove the bellhousing to do the front seal. Make sure to orient the seal the right way. You're installing it from the inside, so it goes with the open end and spring towards the trans. Also, make sure to have a clean mating surface and use a good sealer.
On the rear, the big yoke nut can sometimes be tough to remove, other times it practically falls off. Be gentle prying out the old seal, and you need a long socket or the factory tool to properly install the new seal, around the output shaft. Check the "ball" on the output shaft to make sure it's round, not pounded or worn unevenly.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,700 Posts
No gasket between bellhousing and trans. It's a machined face. A decent quality Permatex, silicone sealer if you use those, etc.

Andrew

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anything special I should put on the seal itself. I've. Usually used axle grease to get them to slide in but no permatex. I assume you mean the permatex is just for the bell housing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts