Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after finally having the engine full replaced with new core & cylinders, my gearbox decides it wants the same attention, and died on me not too long ago. So... not being mechanically enough inclined to tackle this big of a project, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas on this project....

- should I look at rebuilding original or replacing?

- what should I budget for this? I've exceeded the wife-acceptable spend on this car recently with the engine, so need to avoid surprises here.

- based in Southern California, willing to trailer it to any shop in San Diego to Santa Barbara... who would you recommend?
(I've seen the list of shops on the map, more looking for advice on who can handle this job and not charge me other red Italian sports car prices)

- any other advice... ?

Thanks!
Olivier

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Where do you live? ie where in SoCal are you? I'm in San Diego and can give you options here locally, and if you are in Orange County, Alfa Performance Center is a great shop. Can you do work yourself or are you checkbook mechanic?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Get in touch with velocedoc here on the BB, he rebuilds transmissions and I believe might even have some in inventory. He is Phoenix too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you live? ie where in SoCal are you? I'm in San Diego and can give you options here locally, and if you are in Orange County, Alfa Performance Center is a great shop. Can you do work yourself or are you checkbook mechanic?
Yes! Thank you!! I'm in Los Angeles, work in Irvine, so I can try to talk to Alfa Performance Center. I don't know them yet.

I can tell the difference between a pen and a screwdriver but only proficient with one of them. :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
- should I look at rebuilding original or replacing?

- any other advice... ?

Thanks!
Olivier
Just so you know, the difference between the two options you mention is that a rebuild is your own being rebuilt with new parts as needed. A replacement is some else's worn out transmission which has gone through the same process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so you know, the difference between the two options you mention is that a rebuild is your own being rebuilt with new parts as needed. A replacement is some else's worn out transmission which has gone through the same process.
Thanks. I assume the in the end the result is similar? for some cars, people have said to keep the original and rebuild it, and others have said it doesn't matter

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your own transmission you know haw it is, how good or bad it is. Yes the result should be the same, but if I had my transmission rebuilt I'd rather have mine rather than another.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Here is my take on transmissions since I am the one rebuilding them. You put two side by side..yours and another, both rebuilt, what difference does it make if they have all new parts? The gearboxes are not serialized like engines. The rebuilder has to take into account what needs to go in to ensure longevity, working mechanical ability, while keeping expenses within reason. The gearbox with all new synchro's, lightened gears and first gear modification would win out in my book any day of the week over a stock rebuild whether it is in your case or someone else's.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
For me, it’s not about your rebuilt box vs an exchange rebuilt box. It’s 100% about the rebuilder, your budget, and your driving style, in that order. A blueprint box is expensive even in parts — I’ve done it. Probably didn’t need to though, since my usage is fast road only. I’m building one now that will be 350 in parts roughly, other ones I’ve done have been 1200 + in parts.

so find a good trustworthy rebuilder, tell em your budget and driving style, and let them take a look at what they have or your core.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here is my take on transmissions since I am the one rebuilding them. You put two side by side..yours and another, both rebuilt, what difference does it make if they have all new parts? The gearboxes are not serialized like engines. The rebuilder has to take into account what needs to go in to ensure longevity, working mechanical ability, while keeping expenses within reason. The gearbox with all new synchro's, lightened gears and first gear modification would win out in my book any day of the week over a stock rebuild whether it is in your case or someone else's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but arnt the gear sets matched? If your own transmission is rebuilt you are guaranteed of matched gears. If it is just a 'recon box' can you be sure the rebuilder has kept the sets matched? With what you say though I'm sure you would.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What are you implying by matched gear sets? The gears are interchangeable with the same size gear from box to box.
My understanding is the the layshaft and the speed gears are machined to match as a set. Cant say where I read that though.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I keep the gear sets together as it makes it simple to put back together. The last 2 liter box each gear 1-3 had an A stamp on them.

On the other hand, if you were given a box of parts you can put a box together that would be just as good as a new one when you set all your clearances to be correct. Gears are gears in that respect, but it is the clearances that will have to be checked all the way through.

Now, I wonder what is considered to be a matched set? Anyone know?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am in Texas (Fort Worth) and I can rebuilt your gear box if you need for pretty good price. PM me if you are interested.

·
Richard Jemison
7,170 Posts
Gearsets are matched by dimensions to insure proper clearance. You can`t just assume a different gear will work noiselessly mated to another.

Be very careful with your choice of rebuilders. There is way more to it than changing out worn parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts