Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the transmission from my 1988 Spider on the bench and am ready to tear into it. (Well, maybe tear into it is too aggressive a term; what I'm after is a freshening to ensure it doesn't leak a lot and doesn't crunch in second gear.) This car was not running when I acquired it, so it will be chancy to just toss it back into the car without at least a peek inside.

Here's my problem: The CarDisk DVD that I bought does not have a transmission shop manual. And I didn't see one offered at IAP or Centerline. A search of this site took me to a protion of a Duetto manual, but I think I need more than that. Where can I locate this vital source of information?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Centerline has a rreal good tech bulletin for transmission "refresh" that will adress your needs.

There is no "rebuild manual" per se that I am aware of.

Elio

·
Registered
811 Posts
You can start with this . It is for the older cars but there are only minor changes. Yours will have a neutral switch for instance .

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/transmissions/164216-giulia-gear-box-manual.html

And this from Centerline Alfa may help if you find bad things.

Centerline Alfa Romeo Parts (888) 750-ALFA

This post will help with understanding how the box works.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/165883-noisy-gearbox-3.html#post890776

There is lots more info here . If you are having trouble finding things on the BB try Google search like this site:alfabb.com alfa gearbox .

Hope this helps .

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The Group 13 (gearbox) section from the 86-88 Spider service manual is pretty good. I'd be happy to email it to you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elio, David and Jim -- thanks very much.

The tranny is sitting on my bench and still is filled with lubricant. So I went into my service manual to read about draining it, and lo and behold, I discovered there is quite a bit of information in the gearbox section (so, thanks for the offer, Jim, but I have it, unless you were talking about something different).

With that, the info in the links above, and the wisdom in Pat Braden's Bible, I feel ready to at least open it up.

I really should have drained it while it was still in the car. Now there is no clearance to get a container under it to catch the lubricant. And I do know it is still in there, because I rolled it onto its side to inspect the drain plug. I had just decided it appeared to take a 21 or 23mm socket and was about to go over to the tool box when I noticed the growing puddle. Nice, clean, golden lubricant was pouring out of the shift tower. Yuk. I cleaned it up and came into the house.

Tomorrow I'll tackle it. Thanks again for the information. I love this bulletin board.

Larry

·
Registered
741 Posts
Doh!
When stripping the gearbox do not lose the 3 interlock beans on the selector spindles.
The circlip or snap rings on the synchro hubs take a bit of technique, but dont be beaten. Wear googles though!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, CrashMctavish.
I do tend to lose the little bits (I dropped part of the master link into the engine while buttoning it up and spent many hours retrieving it), so the warning is timely. And I've already read that a hefty tool is required for the snap rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts