Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1983 Alpha Romeo GTV6 and the person that sold it to me stated that it requires a new clutch.When I drive it has power and then when you are driving it feels like you are going into neutral with car going no where and car is reving. Then it picks up again with power and moves with power in gear.Then again when you are in first gear, 2nd or third, it feels at times power , then looks like in neutral with engine running, then kicks back into gear when gear shift is in either 1st, 2nd or third gear. Anyone knows what this could be?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
sounds like a sliping clutch. driving it that way will trash/crack the rear flywheel where the slipping clutch will burn the surface. you might have to replace more parts.
I think they came with a multi disk system. but it is common to replace it with a single disk setup out of a Milano Verde that had a bigger 3L

This is a stickshift right?
ever once in a while there is a automatic here and there I never know when one might pop up.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I would say you need a clutch. The friction material is all worn down and if you continue to drive it, you could lose the clutch disk all together and then you won't go anywhere. The other possiblity is you could rev it to high and the lining will separate from the disk or the rivets will cut into the flywheel face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts