Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about depleted my stash of new transmission parts and want to replenish them. I searched Vics Auto, Centerline, Difatta and International Auto. I am sure Difatta has the parts but I can't get around their catalog listing to sort out what is needed, so I took a pass. A couple of the others only had some of the parts but it was a place to get an idea of what prices are. International Parts had the biggest listing, and I almost passed out over the expense of rebuilding a transmission.

Is International the only source nationally that has transmission parts?

Is there a better source for bearings that can offer them at a lower cost? I find $170-$200 to be a bit much for an input bearing. *coughing sounds*

I added up the cost and it is well over $2000 in parts alone to completely rebuild a transmission if everything is trashed. Better off to buy up some used ones, part them out and hope you can get a nice stash of parts. :)

·
Richard Jemison
7,370 Posts
Transmission parts

I added up the cost and it is well over $2000 in parts alone to completely rebuild a transmission if everything is trashed. Better off to buy up some used ones, part them out and hope you can get a nice stash of parts.
That`s what you will pay for New parts anywhere.
The really neded parts have to come from donor boxes.
Rj

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RJ, I can see the value in having donor gear boxes with the expectation that they are not all trashed. The dog gears from the lesser used gears are especially important. One would think that with as many transmissions that were made, the cost of the parts would be less, but now that the split case is no longer in production, it is the law of supply and demand. Is it feasible to hold on to used synchro's that someone can have them recoated? Or are they truly a throw away item?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I purchased new 101 split case bearings from either IAP or Centerline Alfa. I also purchased two layshaft front bearings from Paul Spruell. I have a friend who looked for the bearings at several large bearing companies and no one could find transmission bearings on their databases. I believe that Alfa bearings were produced by RIV or FAG and not by other manufacturers. I rebuilt a 750 tunnel case transmission and purchased the bearings from Alfa Stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts