Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thoroughly enjoying my newly acquired 1960 Giulietta Spider but discovered an annoying oil leak from what appears to be the turret where the shifter connects to the transmission. The leak can be bad at times leaving 2" x 8" puddle under the car after an evening drive. The transmission is a 101 5 speed, probably from a 1600 Giulia.

I have read posts about putting a rubber ring around the top of the turret and securing it with a wire tye or narrow clamp. My inner and outer boot are in like new condition and the inner boot along with a rubber ring are secured as shown in the photo by a wire. Also may be important to note, I have a steep driveway and I wonder if when I drive up, all the oil is running to the rear of the transmission and up through the turret. I have had a 69 roundtail spider and a 68 GTJ and neither had this excessive leaking problem.

Do I just need to replace the wire with a wider and tighter clamping method? I don't now if any permatex or RTV has been used to aid in sealing the turret. Comments welcome?

Oh, and additional photos of the car are also attached. I know the rules.....:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hi Alex !!
That is one stunning Spider !!!!
On the oil leak, can you see that the oil is coming out around the turret ?
If so, I would give a hard look at that boot and the rubber strip that was added.
My '64 Spider just uses the factory boots and does not leak so I suspect that something is not assembled correctly. Should have a narrow RomaBlock type clamp around the top boot, then the other rubbers clamped in the right order. A good manuel should show the right way. Also, there are drain back slots in the edge of the turret under the boot to let the oil drain back into the tranny. Make sure these are not blocked.
Randy

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
You got it Randy!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
And in English too !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
oil seal

I had a very similar problem. I have a giulia and at some point prior to my ownership, the gearbox was removed and rebuilt. There's a part aptly called the 'oil seal' that is easily overlooked that sits between the plates at the top of the tower and the shifter itself. I had the correct romablock clamp on the boot and still without this part, my carpet in the front passenger floor was constantly soaked. It's small and might not be the complete answer but might help to see if you do have this. The part number is 102.02.13.627.00 (rubber) and 102.02.13.624.00 (cap).

Nick

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
A quick check of the 101 parts book shows the correct assembly order. Oil WILL blow out the sliding top plates. The INNER boot seals the shift lever bottom to the top flange of the transmission tower. This done, oil will have no place to go except down the drain holes in the aluminum casting. Next, oil WILL (sometimes) blow out the breather (s). The next boot is over the floor of the car and held in place by four bolts through a metal tower shield, inside the car. Finally, boot number three goes over the shift lever, and is secured to the metal tower shield top. THEN the carpet goes down. Correctly installed, these three boots and tower shield prevent oil and fumes from entering the car. HOWEVER, if the transmission is overfilled (hard to do) or, a lubricant used foams, Oil will still blow out the side breather (s) and drip on the ground a few drops when parked.
This can be made worse (sometimes) with gears that are lightened by with holes drilled through them, besides being narrowed with an "I" section. These holes can (sometimes) act to whip and foam lubricant, making it more likely to blow out the upper breather (s). I racing, a catch can takes care of this with hoses from the breathers to the can, but for street use, you may get a few drips.
This is NOT a modern 2011 sealed system transmission. A drop here and there is just your cars way of marking it's territory.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Alex !!
That is one stunning Spider !!!!
On the oil leak, can you see that the oil is coming out around the turret ?
If so, I would give a hard look at that boot and the rubber strip that was added.
My '64 Spider just uses the factory boots and does not leak so I suspect that something is not assembled correctly. Should have a narrow RomaBlock type clamp around the top boot, then the other rubbers clamped in the right order. A good manuel should show the right way. Also, there are drain back slots in the edge of the turret under the boot to let the oil drain back into the tranny. Make sure these are not blocked.
Randy
Thanks Randy. I do have oil coming out around the turret, after wiping down the turret with a rag and taking a quick test drive, I now have streaks (can see slightly in photo) running down the back of the turret between 4 and 6 o-clock (12 oclock = front).

I don't have a narrow RomaBlock type clamp, just the twisted wire as shown, anyone have a substitution recommendation or should the wire be adequate if tightened? Would a standard worm gear hose clamp from my local hardware store work?

I will take the wire and inner boot off this week and check the drain back slots for clearance.

Additional info: I checked the oil level in the tranny and it is not overfilled. Also, oil is not running down from the breather filters, only from the back of the turret.

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oil leak clamp

The way I solved the problem was to buy a good quality 3.5in [90mm]
hose clamp . Then on a bench grinder made two semi -circle reliefs
for breathers . [narrows clamp to less than 1/4 in.]
Plus use of Permatex Aviation goop solved the problem.

Thin clamps too hard to find.

Laurie Fraser
British Columbia
Canada

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I may have a spare clamp...
let me have a look.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Transmission leak repaired

Once again, thanks to Randy and Gordon.

I found the collection ring and drain completely clogged. Although I haven't done a full test drive to check the results of the work, I am confident the problem is solved. Here are photos documenting the problem and the reassembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Excellent !!
Leak should be solved. Is that a NOS clamp ?? ;^)
Hate to mention it now, but you may be missing one curved ring under the shifter. As I recall there should be 3 along with the small rubber cap.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
And now the final assembly of the outer boots.
Great photos. Thanks. You can pull the red vinyl down over the black rubber boot like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Hi Alex !!
...... there are drain back slots in the edge of the turret under the boot to let the oil drain back into the tranny. Make sure these are not blocked.
Randy
Well done, Randy..no one else called that..Dead on and easy to pass over.. the owner's photo with the dental pick was a perfect demo, too. If me, I would have pulled the shell pressed in place to make sure the dental pick cleared the grooves. It will "worry" off like the lid on a can of salve with a little coaxing on a pair of needle nose and a fulcrum, if you haven't taken it off before and tap it back into place with a light hammer. Enclosed is the proper 6 mm clamp. It fits after the primary (Smallest on the shift lever) bellows is slipped over the tower and the intermediate boot 1493.90.066 is slipped over the primary, then the pictured clamp, then the metal funnel, then the outer bellows and a nother clamp on the top of the funnel. The intermediate boot will harden to a rock like consistency over time as it is a plasticized rubber compound. I have seen them offered new by some vendors recently when before they were not available. If I repeated what Gordon said..or anyone else said consider this a ditto. (see next post for photo)..Repeating the steps for clarity--- A) slip the primary bellows on the shift rod and snuggle it to the shift tower; B) slde the intermediate boot over it and the tower, the one that is bolted to the tunnel under the funnel flange C) clamp both to the tower with ONE clamp as pictured in the next post D) screw funnel in place on top of the intermediate boot E) slide on large bellows after removing shift knob and clamp to funnel.. In summary there are only two clamps...Technically, the clamp on only the primary bellows should work fine with the intermediate boot riding on it as the intermediate is primarily there to keep out fumes and water and road kill from coming into the ****pit. The neck might have some interference from the clamp on the primary but it should serve it's purpose..Finally as you are a new owner, there are two steel balls "hiding" in the shift lever at the bottom that act on the gearbox stub to allow you to select reverse when you depress the shifter top.. They are encased in grease inside the shifter. If you remove the shift lever they can come out of hiding and can fall into the gear box or on the floor. Be aware they are a potential surprise. If they fall out ..do what comes naturally to a man.. just stick 'em back in. If the boots do not fit right they can pull on tnhe shift lever when it is in reverse and cause it to slip out of gear. Just be aware of that. It's covered somewhere else. Nice car, I might add. a nice purchase. I remain as always, your Uncle

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If me, I would have pulled the shell pressed in place to make sure the dental pick cleared the grooves
I was able to look into the turret and see the dental pick clearing the drain. I considered pulling the shell but was not confident in my ability to not damage it in the process.

Finally as you are a new owner, there are two steel balls "hiding" in the shift lever at the bottom that act on the gearbox stub to allow you to select reverse when you depress the shifter top.. They are encased in grease inside the shifter. If you remove the shift lever they can come out of hiding and can fall into the gear box or on the floor. Be aware they are a potential surprise.
I was aware of these two balls being in the shift lever, but was startled when removing the shift lever and heard something drop through to the garage floor. After taking inventory of the parts remaining, I discovered one ball AWOL. The search party found it by the rear tire.

Thank you for your comments and advice Uncle. I always enjoy reading your posts and candid responses. Please keep them coming.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great photos. Thanks. You can pull the red vinyl down over the black rubber boot like this...
Thanks George, I also think I need to push the rubber boot down further. I enjoy viewing your extensive library of restoration photos. I have referenced them several times as I put the finishing touches on mine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One final follow up: I am happy to report after putting about 100 miles on the car yesterday, the leak has been eliminated. Thanks everyone.

Here's a few pictures from yesterday of my daughter and me on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts