Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was at the tire store yesterday for some new rims, and on the lift I noticed that the transmission was covered in oil.

Seemed to be coming from where the transmission meets the engine but I could be mistaken. I did recently put redline 90NS synthetic oil in the transmission and wonder if that could be causing the problem.

Any ideas on how I can determine where the leak is coming from ???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Red Line 90NS will most likely not be the cause of the problem. I have it in my quad. Though some members have claimed it promotes leaks.

The amount of gear oil in the transmission is not very likely to cause such a leak. I would inspect the filler plug, it requires a 12MM allen key, a hard tool to find. Could they have been careless in removing it or replacing it when the oil was replaced?

Would be interested in knowing what you find.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Was the trans covered in oil like fresh trans oil or is it black like old engine oil? Was there any oil or a sign of a leak when the trans oil was changed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Papajam.

I replaced the transmission oil myself and used the original seals that came with the oil drain and fill plugs. While I am not 100% certain that the plugs are not leaking a bit of oil, this leak seems to be coming from further forward and the the transmission is pretty well covered in clean looking oil.

The oil on the transmission looks clean, but so does the engine oil on my dipstick so not too sure if it is engine or tranny oil.

I do have new brass seals for the drain and fill plugs that I plan to put on at next oil change

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'd have a close look at the half moon seals at the back of the head. Oil can drip down from there and make it appear there's a rear main or front trans seal leaking. The wind from the forward motion of the car then just sprays the stuff everywhere (helps prevent rust though :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Papajam

Clean as a whistle behing the heads.
I got under the car and got some of the oil. It does not smell like transmission oils (redline 90ns)

Also I did see that there is a drop of oil on then drain plug that is transmission oil (cant mistake that smell), but I think the main leak is further forward.

I attached some pics. excuse the crazy angle, but I was lying upside down :)

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm also watching this thread keenly, as I have identical symptoms on my '86 veloce after tranny was re-filled with redline.

It looks like the tranny is now leaking from every seam!

The only oil drip on my garage floor is under the alfa transmission. I find 4-5 new drips on the floor after each drive.

I'd just assumed that the slipperier synthetic oil (uniformly shorter hydrocarbon length?) was migrating past the seals which were meant to house spirax.

My plan has been to re-fill the tranny with shell spirax after I've knocked off a few higher-priority items off of my 'alfa list'.

If somebody can point out a (hopefully fixable) source of engine oil that explains my drip I'll sing your praises!

DaveB
Seattle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oil leaks

It can be the crank oil seals that leaks when driving. It is usual place for oil leaks.
If the crank surface is worn the is a repair from Swedish ball bearing manufacturer SKF called "speedi-sleeve" and you can use the original oil seal (prefered manufacturer is Goetze).

On my Giulia I can remove the transmission with engine still in the car. I think for Bertone and Spider you have to remove them both to be able to fix the leak (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Fredrik

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sapilot-
The pictures under your car look exactly like my 1986 Grad. Is that abnormal? The guy I bought my car from said- "Italian cars leak and smell different than other cars".

I always check the tranny fluid level when I change the oil. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Smell the same as any other car, I guess - at least on the outside.

But some engine oil leakage seems to be pretty well "normal". Tranny leaking is not.

Gear oil smells funky, so that's how you can be sure, but oil always goes down an back. So if you have oil on the bellhousing, you can bet it's from the engine - all the tranny oil is behind the bell.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 86 Veloce does the same thing after Red Line .
This spring the Red Line comes out and hopefully regular gear oil will stay behind the seals.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Any suggestions for changing the transmission oil?
We've done pretty good on the engine oil, but I haven't seen a DIY on the transmission fluid.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
We all have a tendency to overfill the tranny and rearend. I have seen mechanics keep pumping the slow moving oil until they rush to put the plug in before it runs out. It is my understanding that the oil is suppose to be up to the full hole and not above it. The seals are designed to keep splashing oil inside the shaft and prevent leaking. However if you overfill and expect a seal to keep oil in it will not be able to. Seals prevent splash leak, but will not hold oil in a reservoir. A little oil goes a long way when leaking. Perhaps it is just a bit of overfill.

2cents
stan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stan

When I filled the tranny, the car was on drive up ramps and the rear wheels on the ground. I filled till the oils started to come out of the fill hole and then put the plug back in

Could this have contributed to a possible overfill ???

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I am sure that it is possible. I always do the same thing when changing oil and filling trannys and rearends. The other day I had my duetto engine on a hoist. I pulled it to do a body restoration and it has been sitting for about 3 years over in the corner of the garage. When I lifted it to drain the oil it was tilted back like it would be with the car on ramps. The drip stopped and when I tilted the engine forward at least another pint was behind the oil drain
So yes I am sure that it is best to fill the tranny and rearend with the car level, but is a real pain to do so.

I would give the tranny a week or so to level out and see where you land. Clean off the oil and collected dirt and check the level.

Good luck!
Stan

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know nothing about Redline oil. Other than its a full synthetic oil. I have worked as a dealer tech for years and have seen many of the new synthetic gear oils that "eat" the silicon sealers used on parts like the Alfa transmissions. Those of you having problems with leaks after you changed fluid brands MAY be running into this issue. Also, it is best to fill the trans or rear end while the car is level. DIY'ers often don't have this luxury. However, the gears in the diff and trans throw oil around everywhere while driving effectively flooding the seals anyway. So alittle over full shouldn't cause any major problems. WAY over full would. Plugged air vents will also cause pressure build up in the units and blow oil past seals. Just some things to keep in mind. Again, not saying it IS the oil. Just that it could be....

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
It is possible, give it a week or so and check the oil level. See where you are with it. Clean the expelled oil and see what you get. Yes I have the same trouble doing mine. It does make a difference on checking the oil on a hill, and draining the oil from the pan. What a pain, but I guess when they design the drain and fill points they don't expect do it yourselfers and the car is usually level at change shops and dealers. You just need a big hole dug out in your garage so you can crawl down there and do the oil thing. I know one fellow in our club that built his garage with such. Pretty wild. I am sure that it is a real advantage at times and not so at others.

Good luck!
Stan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Leak

I too have notice since I changed to redline in my 84 spider that I am getting a few drops on my garage drip pain. It appears to be coming from the drain plug and I am also getting oil on the bellhousing. Not engine oil due to the smell. I don't remember a leak pre redline 75/90w. Again is this an issue with redline type oil? I used the old brass washer as I did not have a new one at the time. I double checked the filler and drain plugs for tightness. They appear to be nice and tight. Is there a torque spec that I am missing? I had the front up on jack stands only veh so was not level at time of filling. Overfill Issue, or is this just common to Alfa's?

PS what is the transmision fill capacity? I filled it until I could feel oil level filler hole.

Peace.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
how i fill my transmission..

it takes a few mins. longer, but it works...i took out the center consule, (good time to clean up down there) removed the shift boots, removed the shift lever, fill the gearbox with correct amount, re-fit all the parts.... done...1/2 hour...and my back doe's not hurt or my arm from trying to pump that thick fuild into the gearbox...:rolleyes: and aways remember, the eary bird gets the worm....but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts