Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please for a '71 GTV. I'm replacing the transmission oil and am going to use 80W/90HD Shell Spirax Extreme Pressure gear lube. Is this the correct lubricant? Also, I had the radiator flushed and need to replace the coolant. Any recommendations on what coolant to use? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Any yellow-green old fashioned coolant such as Prestone would do fine. As for the Spirax, I think it would be OK in the differential, but there are better choices for the transmission. The Spirax is a GL-5 oil and is quite slippery--maybe TOO slippery for the synchros--and most folks think a GL-4 is more suitable for the tranny.

There is an oil on the market that does it all: Chevron Delo ESI 80W-90, rated on the bottle as both GL-4 and GL-5. I hesitate to give it a ringing endorsement as I have only had it in my 71 GTV for a few hundred miles. Several of these miles have been autocross miles, though, and I've had no problems at all shifting. . . .

There are some old salts on this board with great expertise in this matter. Maybe they will weigh in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts