Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I started my new Alfa (before I bought it) when I was checking it over, and noticed that there is a strange "gurgling" sound coming from the transmission. When engaging the clutch and thus stopping movement, it all goes away. I doesn't shift badly or anything like that, just noises. Are these all symptoms of bearing issues? If so, which ones and can I pull it and replace/rebuild it at a reasonable cost?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
If the boots are off the shifter they are quite loud. what you describe is the input shaft rotating and some noise is normal. Since you are new to the car I would check the fluid level just to see then drain and replace with Redline 75 90 NS if you don't know whats in it now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was getting the same problem after changing flex disc (giubo) and out put shaft bushing. I didn't have the rubber shaft bushing pushed back far enough I suppose and was getting whirling, grinding like small thump noise. I regreased and pushed it back some more, added fresh RedLine 75/90ns and voila! no more noises! I agree though, check the boots and add fresh oil, and regrease

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
what happens is, when you don't post a photo of your new alfa on here, the transmission gurgles and finally explodes...........
:whistling:

[but yes, the tranny is very gurgly-sounding when the shifter boots are badly torn or not on correctly]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how many quart/litres are needed for a drain and flush service?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts