Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought or two...Has anyone heard of the possibility of swapping out the trans/rearend of a Spider and working in the Alfa transaxle setup? Seems like a great way to put some of that nose heavy weight into the rear and balancing out the distribution.
What are your thoughts?
Bill

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hmmm gotta do some powerful thinking on this one. That is an idea that sounds good but it will be a good idea only if it is possible without major surgery. The issue I think boils down to the transaxle requiring an independent rear setup. And a place to transfer the torque from the axle to the chassis. The torque question doesn''t seem too difficult, but fitting the independent axles, and springs will either be a zip its in or a noway. Have to put them both up in the air and do some measuring. Do you know if the track is even the same or close? I don't have access to a transaxle car now so can't go much further.
MrC

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
In the first place I don't think the transaxle would even fit. You'd have to basically rebuild the whole aft end of the car including underbody. I'd be impressed if you could do it, however.

Fuggetabouit.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idea came from a very cheap gtv6 on ebay as a parts car.
I always liked the way my Rover 2000 tc handled with the inboard brakes on the independent Dedeon (sp) tube rear end. Very will balanced. I dont know if there is room but it might be fun to try to take a parted out Spider and modify with Alfas transaxle rear end. Keeps the ole brain bucket working.
Keep those thoughts coming..we might be on to something!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts