Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new mount on order and plan to install it this weekend. Went under the car to get the outer sleeve diameter but would of had to remove everything to get that measurement. Does anyone have one laying around that they can get a quick measurement off of? I would like to make a puller ahead of time (read about one with 2 different diameter pipes). Any puller suggestions? Can the old one be driven out with a hammer and drift punch? I plan to do the freeze/heat process to install the new one. Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bore for the mount measures about 63.83 mm. The tool to push out the old mount will need a little clearance, about 63 mm or 2.480 inches should work.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
I would like to make a puller ahead of time (read about one with 2 different diameter pipes). Any puller suggestions? Can the old one be driven out with a hammer and drift punch? I plan to do the freeze/heat process to install the new one.
The ease of removing the old mount just depends on how corroded it is. Sometimes a few taps around the circumfrence with a punch will knock it out. Sometimes it takes a 20 ton hydraulic press. The good news is that Alfa Romeo engineers cleverly designed the transmission/mount system in a way that ensures it remains well oiled, discouraging corrosion. :D

If you can find two large sockets, or segments of pipe of the correct diameter, you can make a puller (and a pusher for installing the new part). Use a section of threaded rod + large washers to apply force.

In my experience, installing the new part is much easier - the interference fit isn't all that tight. Clean the bore of the loop, brush on some NeverSieze, and you can even tap the new part in with a plastic hammer. However, applying straight, constant force with washers & threaded rod works better, as it eliminates the chance of the mount "****ing". I have never needed to do the freezer thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts