Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please contact me if you have this bracket. Apparently there are different versions, but it seems I can only use the latest 5 speed gearbox version as supplied in the 1600.

Thanks!

Dino

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Dino,

I have a 101 Sprint transmission bracket. The 101 1600 bracket fits on a transmission with a wide rear transmission bushing and not a narrow bushing used on the 105 1600 transmission. Send me a photo of you transmission rear mounting bushing.

John W.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John, I only know of and have only ever seen 2 types of bushings: the early small diameter 4 speed and the later 101/105 5 speed large diameter type. I have a 1960 and 1961 that uses the early type and 2 1965's that use the later type. I'm fitting a 5 speed into a 61 sprint, so I need the late 101 1600 bracket to make it fit. I test fitted one from the 65 on to the 61 Sprint, and it's exactly what I need. Below is a photo of the bushing like I will be using (from the Classic Alfa website).
1592806027003.png
Thanks for your help!

Dino

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Dino,

I will look and see if that bracket can be used on a 105 1600 transmission. I have an extra transmission and will see if the bracket fits on the transmission.

John

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
You need this one Dino. Not easy to find. Sometimes called the 1600 101 Veloce transmission crossmember.

I do NOT have one for sale, but this is the mount that you need.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thanks for posting this Gordon. This is exactly what I need!

·
Registered
786 Posts

check if this one is sold

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
They do show up now and then. If the one above is not still available, try Karen McGowan at Alfa's West in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
What people did in the past was to use the original trans cross member and add spacers between it and the body to get proper alignment. I did this on my Giulietta spider race car and it worked fine. I eventually found the later cross member (as Gordon shows) and replaced it. In fact I still have the aluminum spacers (save for one - loaned out to duplicate and never returned). I think I know where they are at. If I find them I’ll take a photo with dimensions and post later.

-John

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John, yes, now I remember once seeing that. That's probably the route that I will have to take. Thanks for the information and for looking into the dimension of those spacers.

Dino

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Original Giulietta trans cross members had only one part number. It was a Normale cross member until the aluminum spacers gave it the Veloce tilt. They were all made that way. I have some new spacers here, somewhere...

There they are...

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Attached is a photo of the spacer(s) I used. It measures 18mm in height. Probably doesn't make much difference +-. Gordon, what height do yours measure?

-John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help John and Gordon. It looks like I found a proper mount from another BB member that had one available. This site is great. I've had every question answered and have found every odd-ball part that I couldn't get anywhere else!.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Alfa DOES use a lot of hard to find stuff, but it IS out there for those with resolve!
YES John, my spacers are 18.6 mm. That is the correct length.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also looking for this bracket. If anyone out there can help please let me know. I am wanting to install a 5 speed in my Giulietta Spider Veloce. And any advice on which transmission to try and source for my conversion is appreciated! Thanks! Josh

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
If you are running a 1300-101 engine and split case 4 speed transmission, odds are excellent you can use your existing transmission crossmember and spacers for engine tilt. The later 101-1600 Veloce specific mount was designed for the increased torque of the 1600 over the 1300.
That said, some transitional 1300's may have the smaller diameter tail housing silent block mount, and that may be 4 speed specific, I'm not sure. If your car is a 750-1300 with tunnel case, you need to do more work as the hole in the chassis for 750 is smaller, and further to the rear, so body work is needed though there are many BB owner 750's converted to split case 5 speed transmissions.
For a 101 1300, the 4 speed and 5 speed cases and dimensions are identical, so it's just a transmission swap, you can even keep your 101 1300 bell housing with the window for timing marks, just bolting in the 5 speed. You must note there are some differences with 5 speeds, and the one you need has the shift rods that protrude from the case front to activate the R light switch. Later 105 5 speeds transitioned to no rods through the case, a different R lock out and a different input shaft size, requiring a special oil seal if the 1300 101 bell housing is used.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are running a 1300-101 engine and split case 4 speed transmission, odds are excellent you can use your existing transmission crossmember and spacers for engine tilt. The later 101-1600 Veloce specific mount was designed for the increased torque of the 1600 over the 1300.
That said, some transitional 1300's may have the smaller diameter tail housing silent block mount, and that may be 4 speed specific, I'm not sure. If your car is a 750-1300 with tunnel case, you need to do more work as the hole in the chassis for 750 is smaller, and further to the rear, so body work is needed though there are many BB owner 750's converted to split case 5 speed transmissions.
For a 101 1300, the 4 speed and 5 speed cases and dimensions are identical, so it's just a transmission swap, you can even keep your 101 1300 bell housing with the window for timing marks, just bolting in the 5 speed. You must note there are some differences with 5 speeds, and the one you need has the shift rods that protrude from the case front to activate the R light switch. Later 105 5 speeds transitioned to no rods through the case, a different R lock out and a different input shaft size, requiring a special oil seal if the 1300 101 bell housing is used.
Wow! Thanks for this information! My car is a 1960 101 Veloce.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
My '60 Veloce was also. It became a race car in '62 when I bought it. I swapped out the 4 speed in 64 for a Normale 101 1600 5 speed that worked perfectly. I used the existing transmission crossmember with spacers and the original bellhousing and clutch. It was an easy swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts