Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new here, been lurking for a couple of months, this is my first, post, love the forum. ive searched high and low, and cannot seem to find any information on people who have installed a transmission mount. I own a 1984 Alfa spider, How difficult, i have some pullers, etc. do i need a specific puller, or press, can it be rigged in a different way? Also, how much fluid does our spider take for the transmission?

for a lil information on the car, I just purchased the car in MD, for 810 bucks, spent 10 days taking the whole car apart, painting it, doing the body work, cutting out cancer, engine, right now im trying to do some under car treatment. I just finished up putting in newer rear springs, diff seal, and fluid, new trunnion bushings,

and the interior i sewed up in about 4 late late nights, not the best, but my first upholstery job.

thanks guys

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
A search of the transmissions subsection should pull many threads on the subject actually.

Or prolly more than what this section has.

10 days for all that?

**** dude, slow down a little. Take your time and enjoy the thing LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the fill plug the little bolt, thats on the passenger side, like kinda right after the bell housing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found it, man i feel stupid, the whole time i have been trying to find information about the car, ive been typing in, transmission fluid, or mount, or install, and couldnt find anything, the moment i type in just transmission, i find much more information, of course its after i posted the thread, and of course, it was TIfosi, who helped me in that direction, thanks again guys, i will post some more pics of the car soon, some process pictures and stuff.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Even though you've found it, might as well 'complete the information' with the attached plus a photo from Gary Williams:

BTW, the fill plug is usually (but not always) a 12mm allen.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awsome, thanks , i appreciate it! the transmission mount went on with out a hitch, i actually used an air hammer to get it out, i put a blunt end tool into the hammer, and carefully put it against the sleeve of the bushing, that thing slid out easier than anything, i had the new one sitting in a container full of ice while i was taking apart everything. To tell you the truth, the transmission mount was the one i was dreading the most on putting together, but turned out to be one of the easiest installs :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
give the transmission a bath with Shell Spirax HD 80w90 , run it for a month or so and then change it again. most POs put in MT90 or some hypoid crap and the tranny gets all screwy. u neeed a 'wash-out' period to clean out the old. (redline 80w90NS is suggested for new or rebuilt trannys with no damage. but spiraxHD will bring it back online proper.)

spirax can be found at pepboys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts