Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just replaced the transmission mount on the 1974 spider, but on reassembling, now have vibration as if the transmission is touching the tunnel somewhere. Much worse than the occasional rumbling that prompted the job in the first place. Happens when in neutral. One thing I noticed is that the mount is perhaps a mm or so asymmetrical in the transmission aluminium loop, a bit more towards passenger side than drivers side. Could this account for the vibration? Does the mount have to be driven exactly and precisely into the middle of this loop?

Here's a couple of pictures of the set up after reassembly in case someone can spot an obvious error in how I have put it together. You might be able to see that the mount housing in the transmission casting is slightly closer to the driver side of the cross member box. Is this important and wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts, I am at a loss in how to proceed

TS

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
TS,
At least the good part is that you have the issue at neutral, which means you can locate the point of contact pretty quickly if you're under the car while it's idling. (Obviously one needs to do this safely, if in doubt get it on a lift at a local garage.) The side-to-side bush alignment isn't a to-the-millimeter question, but it should be pretty close.
Did you use the stock later-type bush (that's more like a strap of rubber) and are you sure you got it in the right orientation when looking at it from the side of the car ?
/Neil

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
the correct orientation is important on these later softer "off centre" mounts:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/794811-post4.html

It might not be gearbox related at all, you will need to get "safely" under the car and look carefully at everything that could be vibrating, exhaust mountings etc......also look in the engine compartment............what are your engine mounts like? check they are good and also their mounting bolts are tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts