Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An odd question: Can anyone tell me how to identify what transmission i have? The transmission is in the car and the clutch slave disconnected...i know that it's a 5 speed, but dont know how reverse works (push down or push aside). I am trying to figure out what engine it is supposed to be mated to, and whether it makes sense for my 105 based race car that had been driven hard and put away wet in its prior life. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
901 Posts
All transmissions with floor mounted gear shift stick have reverse to the right and back (opposite to 5th gear). Early mechanical clutch 105 and 101 transmissions also had a push down followed by right and back.

You mention that the clutch slave is disconnected: I that case it is a later hydraulic clutch 5 speed transmission.

Any pics?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The early TX's had push-down R lock-out mechanisms, and longer shift rods that went thru square o-rings in the front cover,so they could push the reverse light switch mounted inside the bell housing. These went with the mechanical clutch bell, and I think had a larger OD on the front TX seal.

Later (Series 2 and later) TXs had short shift rods and no holes into the bell housing, usually leading to less TX oil in the clutch. The Reverse light was moved to the rear TX housing, which also changed the reverse lock-out to a simpler push right-and-down. The front TX seal had a smaller OD.

The TX in the Junior Models (1300 in the early 105's, and 1600 in the 2L) also had a 0.86 fifth gear in place of the 0.79 in all the others.

The GTAs had intermediate and close ratio gear sets that were different in every gear except 4th (always 1.00).

65 and earlier TX's did not have the nodular moly syncro rings. Both the rings and the sliding shift sleeves were different, identifiable by some small details in machining.

That's all on my list. Did I miss anything guys?

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts