Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for spending Thanksgiving week in a land of wondrous roads (Marin), I decided to change my oils and oil fliters.

My transmission has been drained and alllllmost filled with new fluid. I say almost because a small (maybe an eighth of a quart) amount of the new fluid spilled on to the ground. When I filled the transmission with the remaining fluid it never got to the point where fluid started to leak out of the fill hole.

I only purchased 2 qts of fluid and the capacity is just under that. My question to you all is whether or not I should purchase another qt to make sure I am not low on fluid or if I should be alright?

Thanks again guys, Ben

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
A quart of gear oil is cheaper than rebuilding the gearbox....... that said, if you pull the drain plug & can insert your little finger & touch the top of the oil level just below the filler hole, no problem.

If you can't touch the oil through the filler hole, then you are back to the first point..... better safe than sorry.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
that said, if you pull the drain plug & can insert your little finger & touch the top of the oil level just below the filler hole, no problem.
errrrr, pull the fill plug you mean;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quart of gear oil is cheaper than rebuilding the gearbox....... that said, if you pull the drain plug & can insert your little finger & touch the top of the oil level just below the filler hole, no problem.

If you can't touch the oil through the filler hole, then you are back to the first point..... better safe than sorry.
Perfect! that's exactly what I needed to know.

errrrr, pull the fill plug you mean;)
Probably best to pull the fill plug. Otherwise I would definitely be low on oil :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts