Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on removing the drain plugs?

They appear to be 17mm plugs?

I’ve already tried plenty of lubricant and brute force but it’s moving the vehicle instead of turning the plugs..

Thoughts on maybe a breaker bar or using a heat gun to get them unstuck?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Get two bolts with 17 mm heads, weld them together, use socket to remove the Allen bolts propane torch the aluminum housing, put ice cube on the Allen screws/ bolts, this will srink the and try to remove

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,473 Posts
I mean, measure the plug and make sure you're using the right tool. The fill plugs are typically 12mm or 14mm Allen, I forget what the drain plugs are but see what ratchet fits. Use a breaker bar and they should hopefully come right off (the threads sit in oil so it's not like they need lubrication!) If you're just using one of those little Allen keys it won't work very well.

Listen to Eric and remove the fill plug first. When reinstalling, if the bolt has a flange then you need a fresh copper crush washer. If you use one you don't need to crank down on it very hard to prevent leaks. Sometimes some monkey PO will leave the washer out and overtorque the plug and then you end up cursing them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean, measure the plug and make sure you're using the right tool. The fill plugs are typically 12mm or 14mm Allen, I forget what the drain plugs are but see what ratchet fits. Use a breaker bar and they should hopefully come right off (the threads sit in oil so it's not like they need lubrication!) If you're just using one of those little Allen keys it won't work very well.

Listen to Eric and remove the fill plug first. When reinstalling, if the bolt has a flange then you need a fresh copper crush washer. If you use one you don't need to crank down on it very hard to prevent leaks. Sometimes some monkey PO will leave the washer out and overtorque the plug and then you end up cursing them.
Thanks!

Yah definitely 17mm, I’ll look for a 6 sided socket..

Diff:

Tran:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts