Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Joe Papa Sr
Great selection of beers and Florida, sounds pretty good as I sit here looking at the snow flurries.
Thanks, Steve. Right now, just ran out.....gotta get to Sam's Club for 2- 24 pks of Warsteiner, AND a new battery for my Honda civic.....dont wanna look like Im some kind of wino, just going there for beer....LOL. Im gonna shave 'fore I go, too......LOLOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
what's really involved in a rebuild? changing the synchros and what else.
I would think that you may want to have the 2nd and 3rd gears lightened at least. then don't forget the clutch and flywheel. Oh and yes the rear engine seal while you are at it. and of course check the condition of the clutch slave and respective hoses.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Uh huh.....thats right....(righteously nodding head up/down). next time think twice before you offer this kind of pretense to an Alfa BB member. At least you could have offered to share the project with another member....LOL!
I draw the line at actually doing any work. That's why I stated that some sweat equity would be involved. I am strictly supervisory. BTW I will gladly supervise the removal and replacement of my trans if someone needs the practice.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
what's really involved in a rebuild? changing the synchros and what else.
I would think that you may want to have the 2nd and 3rd gears lightened at least. then don't forget the clutch and flywheel. Oh and yes the rear engine seal while you are at it. and of course check the condition of the clutch slave and respective hoses.
Dont forget to open up the case and replace all seals with maybe some Mil Spec Type III flexible aviation sealant. Avoid the Permatex brands. This is your chance to minimize the AWFUL leaky alfa gearboxes.

Clean the surfaces well with acetone/mineral spirits.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I'm honestly having a nervous break down-seriously. How do you forget the past or rather get past it?? Gordy brought up some very painful memories, I'm not getting over-especially since the dead friend was just in my dreams. This is not for plays I'm seriously losing it over here!
Not my intent....Sorry....Hope you're handling things better now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thoughts on replacing tranny in about any year spider;
1. anything even close to 2,200 is way too much
2.probably, no definately will want to replace shift boots (cheap)
3. steam clean well before starting the job (unless you like really greasy hands, clothes, etc.)
4. drain gear oil first
5. invest in one of those "curved" open/ box end 13 mm wrenches
6. can be removed in the previously stated 3 hours . Provided you are not on some nasty weed infested field. ( level helps a whole lot as well)
7.good time to be critical of clutch parts ( I have done a few where I didnt have to replace them)
8.Have cold beer, good tunes, and premade sandwiches available
9. remember to have fun, its a hobby right?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.